A Child?

Natasha's POV

       When we arrived at Clint's house, Olivia was quickly rushed inside and straight onto the living room sofa by Laura. We grabbed her belonging and followed in, all the while Clint and his children whispering and murmuring in front of me. Clint took the things from me and headed upstairs with the boys. Leaving only Laura, Lila, Olivia and I downstairs. Olivia was lying comfortably on the sofa as Lila and Laura hustled around the kitchen.

       They'd taken down the TV and replaced it with the old one Clint's parents had stashed away. Although it wasn't on or playing anything. I made my way to the couch and sat beside the girl. "Olivia." I said, she looked up. 

       "I wanna go home..." Olivia whispered as a tear ran down her face. I pulled her into my side and hugged her tight. "I want my mom..." 

       "I know this is hard. But your mom wants you to be safe. That's why she sent you here." I said. I felt another presence over my shoulder and looked up. Lila was standing behind the couch with a small bear. It has a Captain America uniform on and held a small shield. I nodded at her and she made her way around the couch to stand in front of Olivia. 

       Olivia didn't look up immediately, however when she did she smiled smally. I released her from my arms and she scooted more towards the floor. "Hi." Lila whispered. 

       I slowly moved off the couch and into the kitchen with Laura who was watching the two girls interaction. Olivia had scooted over on the couch to let Lila sit down beside her. The bear sat between them as they talked. "Do we know how long she'll be here for?" Laura questioned. 

       I shook my head and turned to look at her. "All depends on when and if Fury decides to tell Rogers about all this." We looked back towards the girls and saw that Lila had started teaching Olivia how to do one of her hand games.  I smiled to myself. "Need any help with dinner?" 

       "Sure." We left the doorway and made our way into the kitchen. Once we'd cut and cooked everything and popped the meatloaf into the oven we both went to check back in on the girls. Finding them to both be curled up close to one another with a blanket around their shoulders and the T.V turned on quietly. Olivia was sitting up right with her head laying backwards, Lila had her head laid comfortably in Olivia's lap with a blanket covering everything but her toes. 

       "I'm glad they had each other to play with." Laura stated. "Lila always complains that she doesn't have anyone to hang out and play with out here." 

       "Hopefully having Lila around will help Olivia adjust a bit easier." I said. Laura pulled the loaf out of the oven and we heard a few crashes from upstairs. 

     "I'm gonna get you." We heard Clint yell from upstairs. I heard stomping and a couple more crashes before Copper came barreling down the stairs. "Come here you!" Clint yelled. Olivia jumped awake and looked around the room. 

        "Clint!" Laura yelled as he and Cooper lay at the bottom of the stairs wrestling.

       They both shot to their feet. Clint looked between his wife and the two girls asleep on the couch. "Sorry, honey." He made his way to her side and smiled smally at Olivia and Lila. "They're gonna be good friends."

       "Hopefully." Laura said. I grabbed Cooper and set him down at his seat. 

       "Should I wake them up?" Clint asked as he placed a slice of loaf onto the plates. I shook my head and looked over at them. Olivia has shifted to laying on her side with Lila's head on her hip. It didn't look like a comfortable position, especially with Olivia's broken wrist laying underneath her. However, they looked peaceful, laying there together. 

       "Let them sleep for a little while. She's had a rough couple of days, she needs it." I said pulling out my chair and sitting beside Cooper. We sat together and ate. When we finished it was getting late and Clint decided to help Cooper turn in for the night. He retreated upstairs, holding Cooper, leaving Laura and I with the two still sleeping girls. "We should wake them and make them eat something." I whispered.

       "I know." She sighed. "Yet I don't want to, they look so peaceful." We made our way to the couch and Laura slowly began shaking Lila. "Lila, sweety. I need you to eat something before bed." Lila woke up with a start and looked down at Olivia, who was still sleeping soundly; not even disturbed by Lila movement.  

       "What about Livi? Is she gonna eat?" Lila questioned moving off the couch. 

       "We'll see if she's hungry sweety. Livi's had a rough couple of days." Laura whispered leading Lila into the kitchen and sitting her at the table. I turned back to Olivia. She looks exactly like him, just with a more petit complexion. "Nat? Want help waking her up?" Laura asked, peeking her head in from the kitchen. 

       "No I got her." I said beginning to shaking her shoulder. She groaned and rolled onto her back. "Olivia." I said softly getting up to sit beside her on the couch. 

       "Mom?" She questioned, her hands reaching out for me. I took her hands and sighed.

       "Olivia. You need to wake up." I whispered again. I gave her hands a squeeze and brushed some of the hair out of her face, "Livi. Come on."

       "Mom...MOM!" Olivia said beginning to get louder. Her eyes shot open and she sat up with a start. "Mom!" She shouted. She looked around frantically and met my eyes. "Nat..."

       "It's okay Livi. I'm here, Lila's here." I pulled her in for a hug as she rubbed her wrist and let out quiet sobs. After a few minutes she calmed and lifted her head. "Do you want something to eat?" She slowly nodded and began pushing herself off the couch. 

       Once standing she lead the way into the kitchen and sat down next to Lila at the table. Laura placed a plate of food in front of her and together the girls began to eat. "Thank you Mrs" I heard Olivia mutter before taking a bite. Laura smiled and patted her head softly. 

       "Are you spending the night?" Laura asked when she turned back to me. I shook my head and looked at Olivia. 

       "I have to get back before the anyone suspects anything." I stated. 

       "That's to bad." Laura said grabbing some tupperware to put the leftovers in."At least take some food for the road." I nodded smiling and helped her make some tubs of food to take back to New York. 

       Once both the girls had finished, Lila headed upstairs and Olivia went back over to the couch. Laura looking over at her worriedly as she did. "Olivia, sweety. You don't plan to sleep there; do you?" She looked back at us and nodded. "Come with me dear. Clint has already made you up a room." 

      Olivia smiled smally before heading back towards Laura. They headed towards the stairs and both turned to look at me again. "Come back to visit?" Laura questioned. I nodded and grabbed my bags heading for the door. However, as I reached for the doorknob I felt thin arms wrap around my waist.

       "Tell my Mommy I say hi. Also tell her I can't wait to see her, Howard and uncle Bucky again." Olivia mumbled into my shirt. She released me and head back up the stairs with Laura. It was meant to be a happy moment; her knowing she was safe and okay. But all I could feel was sadness.

       For her. Steve. And Peggy.

Word Count: 1315