11: High Tides

Song Of The Chapter:
Eye Of The Storm - X Ambassadors

Gavin followed Nines from above, calmly gliding against the subtle breeze. Gavin would usually venture and play in the clouds, but not today, when there was more of a mission at hand. He simply watched the shark swimming below him whilst keeping an eye out for any islands. He knew they were getting much closer to the mainland, simply by the difference of the wind under his feathers and the distinct earthly smell. Gavin knew what it was like- he had chosen to live by the water on one of the branching expanses of land connected to the continent. He was even more thankful for the choice of home now that he had Nines accompanying him.

The sight of a small island lay ahead. Gavin swooped down and glided over the glimmering surface of the water to get Nines' attention. Noticing the avian's presence, the shark turned on his back in the water, watching the avian point at the land mass. Though neither Gavin nor Nines was tired, of would still serve as a good resting spot for the remainder of the day. There was no guarantee when the next island might be.
Nines acknowledged Gavin's gesture with an reverberating croon. He too could tell the island was up ahead, noticing the discrepancy in depth of the water. Reef fish appeared more and more frequently, swimming about below him. He let the avian take the lead.

~~~

Gavin slowly descended towards the shore and finally landed on the sand. "Only one night, then we're up and moving again," the avian said the moment he saw Nines beaching himself, pushed to shore by the steady lap of waves. Nines simply nodded with a small hum, watching as the avian began collecting driftwood to start a fire.

"I am going to scout the perimeters to make sure we don't have unexpected company," Nines announced.

Gavin knew they were probably save, but shrugged anyhow, unable to stop the restless siren from slipping back into the waves with an unfair amount of gracefulness.

Nines made a cycle around the small excuse for land, making sure things were habitable. It would not be fun to realize later on that they were crashing on another siren's territory. Loners could be much more hostile and unpredictable, so it was best to avoid that outcome.

Island earning its mark of approval, Nines ventured back to the beach Gavin and himself occupied, finding Gavin fiddling with the sticks, mouth downturned in a scowl.

"How's the fire coming along?"

Nines knew it probably was hard to get the cold, damp driftwood to catch flame. The minimal vegetation didn't do any favors toward trying to catch a spark.

After a few more seconds of vigorous twisting of the wood, Gavin finally gave up. To prove his frustration he gripped the wood he had been working on and angrily lobbed it into the water with an frustrated growl.

"Nothing. Fucking useless," he complained and kicked a small pebble. "Guess its just wings tonight," he muttered and unhurriedly laid down in the coarse sand, cringing slightly.
It wasn't the soft stuff. This sand was pebble based, cold and uncomfortable to lay on.

Regardless, he brought his wings around himself in an envelope to try to keep warm, letting out a weary sigh. He hoped Nines would be comfortable in the water, but then he noted that the siren hadn't moved away. No, instead he heard the distinct sound of the annoying pebble sand shuffling as Nines pulled himself closer.

"Gavin," he spoke softly. "If you prefer, you can use my tail as a pillow of sorts, I don't mind. It has to be at least a bit more comfortable than trying to sleep against these pebbles, surely."

Gavin slowly uncurled from his wings to look at Nines. His eyes followed Nines' length of tail before in thought. Nines was right in that it would be much more comfortable than trying to sleep on the sorry excuse for sand. Gavin found himself slowly nodding.
"Only if you promise to sleep..." he mumbled and moved over, gently grabbing Nines's tail and adjusting it the way he saw fit.
As Gavin rested his head, he was pleased to find it quite comfortable and soft. The detection of the slight shift and flex of muscles under the skin made him shiver involuntarily for a moment, before he finally got adjusted.