Lost

Zak woke up, his head was pounding more than ever. 

He groaned, looked at the time.

'Damn, my alarm really didn't wake me up today, huh?' he thought as he ran his fingers through his messy and oily hair, sitting up and sighing.

He could hear some glass breaking downstairs, and he ignored it as he started dressing up.

He didn't mind his teeth not being brushed, or his clothes not being washed, if he had something to wear, he'd be glad to wear it 7 days a week.

He grabbed the light-blue hoodie from the floor, and some blue jeans, slipped inside them and took a glance to the pills next to his bed.

His head hurted even more, so he pressed down on the sides of it and closed his eyes shut to focus on not being that late to school.
He is gonna miss the first period, and honestly, he didn't really care.

He stood up, opening his eyes, and took the pill bottle into his black and red backpack.
He ran to the outside world, forgetting his headphones and phone at home, right to school.

The day went by slowly, because this guy had a plan.

Darryl's POV (surprise?)

I saw that Zak was acting strange today. He kept glancing to his small pocket of his backpack, opening it, looking into it and closing it back.
I saw his leg bouncing (oop) back and forth, he was anxious, I knew that.
As the last period ended and the bell ringed, he took his backpack and ran out of the classroom.
I decided to follow him, carefully, as I wrote a small message to my mom:
Be home soon, I have things to do.
She hasn't replied yet when I turned my phone off and followed Zak.

He seemed to look around as he walked to places I have never been to.
Finally, he sat in a small, abandoned corner of a street, puts his backpack next to him, and takes out three things.
A razor blade, a bottle pill, and some water.
My heart sank.
I was so tempted to call 911 again, but after yesterday they might think I'm going insane.

"What's your friend's name, darling?"
"Zak. I don't remember his last name-- Cardor? Carder?"
"Zakery Carder?"
"Yes! That's him!"
"Sorry, I don't think we can help you."
"What--? Why?!"
"I'm sorry, darling, We are not allowed to go to his place. It says he has died a few months ago."
"What?! but I can see him!"
"Sorry son, have a great day."

I just stood there, behind the corner, and watched as Zak pops the pills in his mouth, one after another.
He sighed as the bottle was finished, rolled his sleeves up, and my heart froze.
His wrists were completely covered in cuts and scars and burns, my mind yelling at him to do something, ANYTHING, to save him from what he is doing.
But I couldn't move, or talk, or even breathe.
I felt my lungs burning as he starts to carve things into his already wounded wrists, mostly long and deep, red lines.
When he finished, he hits his head gently on the barrier behind him, and breathing heavily.

I didn't even notice myself picking my phone up and dialing 911, second time this week.
"911, what's your emergency?" the young, calm voice heard from the other side.
"He is killing himself." I barely got it out of my mouth as I am starting to shake.
"Who? where is he?" the voice said as they typed into the computer.
"Zak. Zakery Carter. He is gonna die.." I whispered into the microphone, as I watched Zak losing the life out of him.
"He is dead, honey, there is n-"
"HE IS DYING RIGHT NOW, COME HERE BEFORE I BRING HIM TO A HOSPITAL MYSELF!" I breakdown finally, as I see Zak losing conscious.

I ran to him, holding him tight.
"Alright," answers the voice after a few seconds, "What is the address?"
"21 Muffin Street. You better freaking hurry, I can't lose him...." the call has ended, and I sobbed into Zak's torso.

I never knew him, but I can't lose him.
Not like I lost her.