Chapter 20: A Beautiful Enigma

A/N: Holy shit, chapter 20 already...

The Vegas performance was the thing that sparked my interest in this pairing - in fact, I saw that (and the Oscars) before I even saw the movie. Yeah, I'm a little late to this party. I knew next to nothing about either Stefani or Bradley before February of this year (apart from some Lady Gaga songs of course), but I watched Oscars and I watched Enigma and I thought "wow". And then I was addicted.

I hope you enjoy this and THANK YOU for all of your support!

Lyrics: Shallow (obviously:)

****

January 2019

Bradley ran his forefinger along Stefani's back, tracing the faint outlines of the gorgeous, almost completely healed rose tattoo, then the French words written next to it on a beautiful script. La Vie en Rose; how incredibly significant that classic song had turned out to be for them. She sighed softly, waking, turned to glance at him over her shoulder with a small smile.

"That tickles, B."
"Sorry." He chuckled, pressed a kiss on her forehead. "Good morning."

She muttered something affirmative, turned her head back and buried it into her pillow. "What time is it?"

"Almost eight." He continued to caress her tattoos, entranced with each one, describing some significant event in her life, some significant story. "How are you feeling, miss Oscar-nominated actress?"

She laughed a little, turned around completely, gazing at him with sleepy green eyes. "I just still can't believe it."

"Believe it, because you deserve it all." Bradley smiled, kissed her softly, thinking back to her reaction on the previous day when the Oscar nominations had been announced; by the evening her tears of shock for being nominated in the Best Actress category had finally turned into careful, very humble happiness. He couldn't believe she still didn't see how amazing she was, how incredible her performance in the movie was; he knew the competition for the award was fierce, but in his eyes, she was a definite winner.

Stefani touched his cheek. "So do you. I'm so proud of you; if they don't give one to you this time, I'm going to personally kick everyone in the Academy. In fact, I think I'm going to do it anyway, just because they completely overlooked your incredible directing."

"That would be a nice little undertaking," he commented, shaking his head with a chuckle. "Yeah, I can't say I'm very happy about that, but... even being nominated as an actor again is such an honour, seriously."

"Maybe, but it's still not fair." She rolled her eyes, yawned and buried herself snugly against him. The bedroom of his New York townhouse was still quite dark, on the freezing January morning, the hustle and bustle of the neighbourhood echoing faintly through the large windows. He tugged her head up gently, kissed her nose, eyes tightly on hers.

"This movie brought me to you, Stef. I don't care about anything else. I really don't need any statues on my mantelpiece when I have you."

She teared up slightly, leaned to touch her lips to his softly. "Right back at you, B."

He smiled, pulled her even tighter against him, releasing a contented sigh against her hair.

Since her accident on New Year's Eve, they had been inseparable; when Stefani had been released from the hospital, they had flown to LA, spent the next week just relaxing at her Malibu house, enjoying the time together, lazy days and passionate nights, their connection deepening, intensifying. On his birthday she had cooked him the best dinner of his life, then taken him to the bedroom for a very pleasant surprise involving chocolate and whipped cream; the delicious memory made him shiver and Stefani glanced up to his face, arching an eyebrow.