5 ♛ An Offer

- Li Xun -

"Who are you?"

Li Xun reeled back in surprise. He hadn't expected such a small, gentle voice to come from the boy, especially since it didn't fit his cold demeanour.

And did he not recognise him as the Crown Prince of this nation?

Nonetheless, Li Xun introduced himself. "Li Xun. Wang Li Xun. How about you?"

The boy's eyes narrowed by a tiny fraction, hesitating if he should reveal his name to a complete stranger. The more Li Xun stared at him in fascination, the more uncomfortable he grew. But Li Xun wasn't going to harm him, all he wanted to do was to talk.

After much deliberation, the boy answered quietly.

"Long'Er."

"Long'Er," Li Xun repeated his name slowly. "It's my pleasure to finally meet you."

Silence settled between them. The boy shifted his weight from foot to foot awkwardly, lifting an eyebrow with a questioning look. Clearly, he wanted to send Li Xun on his way quickly.

"Does...your head still hurt?"

His words reminded Li Xun of the injury that the rogue leader had inflicted on his head before he fainted. "Strangely, no." He rubbed the back of his head, confused. "What happened?"

"You passed out. I used the Celestial Flower to heal the swelling," Long'Er explained calmly. "Now that you're looking well, it's time for you to leave."

"No, wait."

Li Xun had many questions burning in his mind for days, and he wanted answers to them. "That creature that attacked me the other day," he started, "do you know what it was?"

He remembered it clear as day, a seven-foot-tall being that looked similar to a human but acted like a ferocious beast on the loose. It possessed an outrageous amount of strength that no normal person should have.

"It's the Wandering Ghoul – an undead," Long'Er explained in a matter-of-fact manner. As if he had seen it several times in his life. "Conjured up by a witch. She made a villain rise from his grave and turned him into something more evil."

"What?" It was the most preposterous thing Li Xun had ever heard, but it was the only explanation that made sense. "Witches are real?"

Long'Er nodded. "Yes, but they are very few in number."

A shudder ran through his body at the thought he had seen something that he thought existed in books only. "Why was it at the lake? I thought only certain people could enter the place."

Long'Er remained silent, clearly thinking about it carefully. "The barrier keeps humans out but it isn't strong enough to stop powerful beings like the creature. Especially if it has fed on countless people's qi (vital essence). It was probably hiding in the waters, waiting to feed on people who seek the Celestial Flower."

Questions tumbled from Li Xun's mouth before he realised. "What about you? You live here, don't you? Right by the Great Heavenly Lake. You brought me to your house."

A dark frown etched on Long'Er face, clearly knowing where this conversation was heading towards. His silence only acts as a confirmation to the question that Li Xun asked and that only made him want to probe further. Moreover, ever since his arrival, he hadn't seen anybody apart from Long'Er.

He ended up asking. "How are you able to get past the barrier–"

"I'm not obligated to answer your questions."

The flat tone in Long'Er's voice indicated that he wanted Li Xun to leave. It was clear as day that the boy didn't want to reveal any more details than he should, especially to a stranger that was behaving like a busybody.

"I apologise," Li Xun said in embarrassment. "I didn't mean to be rude."

Long'Er blinked once. "You didn't have to return," he remarked. "Tell me, why do you seek me?"

So he did recognise Li Xun from the other day. "I come in peace," he explained. "All I really want to do is to show my gratitude towards you for saving me from that creature the other day. I can grant you anything – a noble status, money or land. You just have to name it."

Long'Er canted his head to the side, his eyes boring into him with a disinterested expression. "It's fine," he answered dismissively. "I do not desire material wealth."

Li Xun was surprised by his aloof response. In most cases, people would be happy to receive gifts, but apparently not for this boy. "Well then, what can I do for you in return?"

Long'Er let out a soft sigh. "All I ask is for you to live a humble life."

For the second time, Li Xun was surprised. Never had he met somebody this selfless and modest. In his entire life, he had often encountered greedy, selfish and ambitious people that he doubted that a pure-hearted person still existed in this world.

But it seemed like today, he finally found his answer.

His saviour was extraordinary and would be a shame to not put his talent to use. As such, Li Xun decided to present to him a rare opportunity. "I have an offer," he mused thoughtfully. "May I employ you as my personal bodyguard?"

Long'Er remained unfazed. From his indifferent reaction, he clearly didn't find the offer to be inviting. "Thank you, but I will have to decline that."

At his rejection, Li Xun's hopeful expression faltered. But that didn't stop him from giving up on his persuasion. "I live in the palace," he revealed. "Being my bodyguard grants you a special authority over others, accommodation and a high salary every month. An education too, if you want. If you serve by my side, I'll provide you with everything you need."

Long'Er's frown deepened as he hurriedly explained himself. "I know this sounds bizarre coming from a man who appeared out of nowhere, but what I'm really trying to say is that I admire your skills," he continued. "And I think it would be a waste for you to remain here in isolation."

"Besides, it would be nice if I could have a friend like you." He murmured the last line, as he felt a little bashful at his revelation. "In the palace, it can get a little suffocating with all the political fights happening. I'm hoping someone can keep me in my rightful place and, more importantly, be my friend."

Long'Er was stricken with a look of surprise and bewilderment, wondering if he had heard wrongly. Li Xun gave him a hopeful smile, but the answer that he received, unfortunately, was one of disappointment.

"I'm sorry. I can't."