24 ♛ Runaway

- Li Xun -

He was distracted.

Halfway through his work, his eyes would wander to the spot where a certain someone was supposed to be standing, but only to find it empty.

He knew he made a promise to his sister, but he was worried.

Could anyone blame him for feeling a little lonely when his friend was abducted almost everyday by his sister?

Ling Yao was his friend too, but he was a man of few words. He was far too dedicated to his job of protecting Li Xun that he often addressed him with heavy formalities. Regardless of his constant reminders to speak to him casually — at least when they were alone — his words ended up falling on deaf ears.

He found it more comfortable to speak to Long'Er, and often let his guard down around him.

Now, that was taken away from him too.

Royals were often admired and fawned upon, but in truth, they were lonely people.

He buried himself in his work. When he needed a break, he hid himself away in one of the garden pavilions, hoping that none of his subordinates would disrupt his rest there. He settled at the white stone table, sipping his tea and reading a book that he had brought along.

He didn't make it past the fifth page before something – or rather someone – leaped over the wall several metres away. His eyes flickered towards the intruder and their gazes met. Recognising the person, he stood up immediately.

"Long'Er?" he gasped. "What are you doing here?"

Likewise, surprise lit in the boy's eyes. He placed a finger on his lips. His eyes darted behind him and back to Li Xun, trying to deliver a silent message – one which he understood immediately.

Long'Er was running away from a certain someone.

And Li Xun could easily guess who that was.

Snapping his book close, he rose to his feet and waved him over. "Come, I know a good hiding spot."

Dismissing his own servants, they fled from the garden and away from the desperate cries and footsteps that chased them. They ran through courtyards and past a few halls, before ending up in one of the storage rooms that held all the herbs and spices. They shut the doors behind them and shuffled to the back of the room.

Along the way, Long'Er almost tripped on one of the earthen pots on the floor. If not for Li Xun's quick reflexes and steadying him by his shoulder, he might have fallen hard.

Li Xun pulled him behind one of the shelves at the far corner. As they listened hard for any noises coming from the outside, he peered down at his hand that was still clutching Long'Er's arm.

A sudden peculiar thought crossed his mind.

For a man, Long'Er's arm was fairly thin. Moreover, after several interactions, he couldn't help but noticed how the boy's hands were smaller and slender than his own. Whereas most men would have bulging veins running across their arms, the skin above Long'Er wrists were oddly smooth.

Hm, strange.

They stood still for a couple of minutes in silence, but no one came for them. Long'Er exhaled and shut his eyes in relief, leaning against the shelf for support. He hadn't noticed that Li Xun was still clutching his hand. Frowning at him.

"So," he spoke so suddenly that he startled him, "what did my sister do to you this time?"

Long'Er rubbed the back of his neck, sighing. "She wanted me to try the food she had cooked for me. Again. Honestly, I swear the food she makes is the best poison in the world."