Chapter 9

Kara suddenly woke up with a loud gasp. Her body started to tremble as she looked around the room for anything to indicate that she is safe but it was all to dark. She felt like she was trapped in that cell all over again. She could hear his raspy voice and evil laughter fill the quiet room. Her breathing started to pick up as looked around the dark room once more, sweat dripping down her face. She tried to look for Alex but she was nowhere to be found.

She closed her eyes in hopes that it will all be over when she opens them. Her breathing grew faster and faster by the second. She tried to call for help but no words seemed to come out. She curled up on the bed and began to rock back and forth, letting out quiet whimpers.

"Kara?" Alex walked over to turn on the lights. She found Kara curled up on the bed with her eyes shut, rocking back and forth as she tried to regain her breathing.

Alex rushed over to her side. "Hey, hey. It's okay, Kara. Look at me." Kara shook her head as her eyes shut tighter. "Kara, I'm right here. Just breath. Take a nice deep breath." Kara held a hand up to her chest. "I-I can't!" Kara choked out. Alex placed her hand on Kara's back and rubbed it soothingly. "Yes you can, Kara. Just follow my lead."

Alex took in deep breath to help guide Kara with her breathing. After about ten minutes, Kara's breathing slightly returned to normal but her eyes remained shut. "Can you open your eyes for me? Can you look at me?" Alex asked softly. Kara slowly opened her eyes. Her head was pounding and everything was moving at such a high velocity causing an overwhelming wave of nausea to fill in her stomach. Too much for her to handle.

Kara's hand moved from her chest to her mouth as she stood up a little. She started panting as she got up completely from the bed. "Alex, I don't feel good." Kara said as she started to tremble again. "Okay, come on." Alex knew exactly what was about to happen so she grabbed Kara's hand and quickly lead her to the bathroom.

Kara quickly bent over the toilet and threw up. Alex was right behind her, rubbing her back and holding her hand for comfort. Kara panted as her body slightly shook on the cold, hard floor. "There you go. Let it all out." Alex said as she tried to comfort Kara as much as she could.

Kara tensed up as she leaned in for round two. Kara cringed at the feeling but knew she couldn't do much besides wait until she was done. She gave Alex's hand a tight squeeze. If she had her powers, she would have most defiantly crushed it. Alex squeezed back as she continued to rub Kara's back.

Once Kara convinced herself that there was nothing left for her stomach to empty, she leaned back into Alex's arms. "You done?" Alex asked as she pulled Kara in closer to her. Kara simply nodded as she placed her head on Alex's chest. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean all this." Kara apologised as she pointed to the toilet and waved her hand around. Alex shook her head. "Don't apologize, Kara. That happens when you get worked up. No big deal."

Alex gave Kara a few minutes to relax before speaking. "Let's get you cleaned up a bit." She stood up before carefully helping Kara up. Alex reached to flush the toilet before helping Kara. She gave Kara a clean toothbrush. As Kara brushed her teeth, Alex helped her brush her messy hair before putting it back into her ponytail.

After a few minutes, Alex guided Kara out of the bathroom. Alex walked over to the lamp in the corner of the room and turned it on before sitting down on the couch. She patted the spot next to her, telling Kara to sit down. Once Kara got comfortable enough, Alex broke the silence.

"What caused you to panic so much, Kara?" Alex already knew what caused her distress but she wanted to hear Kara talk about it herself. Get her to open up a bit more. "It was nothing. It doesn't matter." Kara didn't make eye contact. Alex obviously wasn't convinced. "Of course it matters, Kara. All this clearly wasn't 'nothing.' I understand if you don't want to talk about it but please don't act like all this was not a big deal." Alex placed her hand on Kara's and rubbed her thumb on the palm of her hand.

Kara had tears welling her eyes. She closed her eyes causing them to fall. She took a deep breath before opening her eyes and started speaking. "I had a nightmare. I was back in that stupid cell but this time you were there as well. You where chained to the wall right across of me. I watched as he would beat you up and I couldn't do anything. I just had to sit there and watch."

Kara paused for a moment as new tears formed. "Then he killed you. Right in front of me. Just stabbed a knife right through your chest. That's when I woke up. I tried to look for you but I couldn't find you. It was too dark. It felt so real. When I couldn't find you, I panicked. I thought I did lose you. Alex, I can't lose you."

She broke down again, losing control of her tears. Alex held Kara tightly as she buried her face on Alex's neck, muffling her sobs a bit. "I'm right here. I'm alright. You are not gonna lose me, Kara. Plus, he can't hurt you or me. He is being held prisoner at the DEO desert facility away from the city."

Kara relaxed a bit after hearing that. They sat in a comfortable silence for a moment before Kara spoke up. "Sorry, Alex. For waking you up and for panicking over nothing and for-" "Kara." Alex interrupted Kara and placed a hand on her shoulder. "It wasn't for nothing, Kara. You were upset. I don't care that you woke me up. I'm not mad. You're more important."

Kara just nodded. "Can I take a shower?" Kara asked, changing the topic. Alex smiled. "Of course you can. Feel free to grab some comfy clothes from my drawer and towels are in the cabinet under the sink. Shout if you need me." Kara nodded before standing up and walked to the room to get some clothes before making her way back to the bathroom.

Alex just sat there, deeply thinking about everything that has happened. From the day Kara was taken to her panic attack a just a few minutes ago. Kara wasn't the only one that was hurt. She was too. Of course, not nearly as much as Kara but it did most certainly have a huge impact on her. From not knowing if her little sister was alright to watching her break down every few minutes. It hurt her knowing that her little sister was so broken.

Alex wiped some unfallen tears as she stood up and walked over to the kitchen. She took out a tea kettle and a mug. She filled the kettle with water before placing it on the stove and waited for the water to boil.

After a few minutes, she took the kettle out of the stove and poured some hot water on the mug before adding a packet of ginger tea and letting it sit for a minute.

Kara soon walked out of the bathroom in navy blue pajama pants and Alex's black hoodie. She made her way to the couch and sat down. Alex draped a blanket over Kara before walking back to the kitchen to retrieve the tea. She opened a cabinet and got out a pack of saltine crackers before making her way back to Kara.

"Here, take these. You can't sleep on an empty stomach. I know it's a weird combination but the ginger tea should soothe your tummy and help you relax a bit and the crackers are light and bland so they shouldn't upset your tummy and make you want to throw up again. Take small sips and bites."

"Thank you." Kara gratefully received the items before leaning back on to the couch and taking a small sip of her tea. Alex sat down next to Kara and wrapped her arm around Kara's waist. Kara leaned her head on Alex's chest and continued to enjoy her tea and crackers.

A few minutes later, Kara was asleep. Alex carefully took the empty mug and half eaten cracker pack and placed them on the nearby coffee table. She then stood up and carefully picked Kara up before walking back to her bed and placing Kara down. She smiled at how peaceful her little sister looked now.

Alex decided to stay up a little later to make sure Kara was sleeping well and wouldn't wake up panicking again. She also decided that in the morning, she was going to go to the DEO desert facility and pay the alien a visit.