nine

A HYPERACTIVE CHEMIST, A BRUTE, AND AN ANXIOUS KID

That's who I'm stuck with for the rest of my day, it looks like. Although Hughie went to step out for a little while and Frenchie started setting up his equipment, I was left by the counter beside Butcher while we waited to be the French guy's assistants. "I reckon you love VOUGHT even more now, huh?" And Butcher just can't seem to shut the fuck up. This was his little thing. Teasing me endlessly until I point a gun at his face and he waved it off with but a laugh, successfully getting into my nerves being his entertainment. He was soooo fucking lucky I never had the need to pull the trigger.

"I'm planning on quitting." He looked at me, like surprised I was thinking about it even if we talked about me being the man on the inside. "Billy, I know you're gonna tell me that I need to stick with this shit-until fucking forever. B-But two years seemed... enough." I couldn't help but vent out. Butcher always knew everything about me. I was an oversharing bitch, mostly to my partner-which was him, and the last time I ever vent out like this was also-two fucking years ago. And it's still to him. We had a pretty close partnership. Ever since-his wife... and I was kind of glad he never closed me off entirely-at least not that much.

"Two years, huh?" He repeated that I nod. "Seemed like a short time." I snorted.

"It's 'cause you never dealt with the shit they-they asked me to deal with." All of it. "Do you know how many collateral damage I've covered up with a written check from VOUGHT? Yeah, I counted. One hundred two-three if we considered Hughie's signature." Butcher looked away. "I made it a point to believe that-it brought me enough thrill to satiate my thirst for-for purpose. The thrill of the battlefield. But along those years I remained blind..." Ignorant truly was bliss if you never choose to open your eyes.

"Butcher," I called again, gathering his whole attention although his gaze never spared in my direction. "I'm tired of being in their leash." It was the truth. Yes, I wanted to be the man on the inside, but then again there was this buggering feeling, that I was making a mistake staying there.

I wanted to get my life the way it was-but could I? To be honest, I don't even know if the way I've lived before would be equally shitty or bring me more peace. We're on to a rough start here. But this was-better. Outside is better.

"Leave VOUGHT." My eyes immediately darted at Butcher while he circled around the cattle prod, loud reverberating music from Frenchie's headphones being the only sound as I stared him down in silence.

"You're-You-You won't be mad?" The brute looked at me and frowned-"wait, did I said something wrong?"

"You must be dim if you think I'll be mad at you." He stoop down from the counter and threw a bottle soon when Frenchie laid his hands to our direction-to his assistants. But still, what Butcher said lifted another torn stuck to my chest. Like-Like I'm gonna be free soon.