Too complicated: Part 12

Tom POV:

I could see the colour splashing back onto Y/n's face, her gorgeous smile once returned to its rightful spot.

Y/n: Hey, it's me Noah. Are you okay? Are you safe?

Noah: I think he's gone to the pub. I'm safe right now, I'm home alone.

I shook my head at the thought of it. Leaving a child on his own like that? I understand he was smart and perfectly capable, but something about it just made my skin crawl as if I had  bugs and insects poured down the back of my shirt. I shuddered at the thought.

Y/n: Noah I promise we'll get you back. Just hang tight, don't do anything that might anger him, you know how he is when he's had too much to drink. And lock your door.

Noah: Okay, Okay. Please hurry, I don't want to stay here.

A single tear trickles down her face and she quickly swiped it away leaving no trace behind.

Y/n: I promise I will.

Noah: I have to go. I think he's back.

Y/n: Okay go. Please be careful. I love you weirdo.

Noah: I love you too bigger weirdo.

The line went dead and I slowly took the phone from Y/n's hand. Her eyes stayed on the counter as I tucked her hair behind her ear, running my hand through one of the strands and feeling the softness of it.

Tom: So he's at the pub?

Y/n: He's a heavy drinker.

Tom: Is Noah going to be safe?

Y/n: Depends.

Tom: On what?

Y/n: On what kind of mood he's in today.

She got up and walked over to the couch, moving the perfectly assorted pillows to the side and dropping her body carelessly on it. I joined her and took her hand in mine. It was so limp, like she wasn't even bothering anymore. I stroked my thumb delicately over it, the smoothness of her skin soothing my own thoughts, but clearly not enough. I had to ask her.

Tom: And when he was in a bad mood, what would he do?

Y/n: Shout, swear, neglect, threaten...hit.

She spoke the last word in a voice so small I could squash it between my fingers. It made me indescribably angry. And she saw my jaw clench and my grip on her hand tighten. But she placed her hand on my cheek and turned my vengeful eyes to hers knowing they were my weakness.

Y/n: Don't think about the past now. Focus on Noah.

I nod and she reaches for her laptop, opening it up as the bright blue screen consumed her along with the years and years of information living within.

Tom: Would he hit Noah.

Y/n: Not a lot. But the other stuff yeah.

Her eyes never left the screen.

Y/n: He was still so young at the time. But a slap here and there yes. He'd hit me more, not too often, but when he did...It was mostly the other stuff, it was torture. I had to get us out of there.

She clicked on a website and I watched her eyes dart around the page. Her rosey pink lips held hostage underneath her teeth as she furrowed her eyebrows at the laptop. Hearing his voice must have given her some hope, and I'm thankful for that.

Tom: What are you doing now?

Y/n: I'm trying to arrange a meeting with child services. File a complaint about my uncle's parenting so hopefully we can...no no no. Shit!

She slammed the laptop shut and through it across the sofa, leaning back and covering her face with her hands in frustration.

Tom: What, what is it?

Y/n: I can't fucking schedule anything until tomorrow morning.

Tom: Well it's okay-

Y/n: No it's not. Because he'll have to spend another night there. And by the time we arrange a date, god knows how many days he'll be left in that...that monster's care. For fuck's sake.

She stood up and walked to and fro between the small pathway between the living room and kitchen.

Y/n: How can I let him stay there? I should just go get him right now.

Tom: Y/n no.

I went over to her, reaching my arms out to hold her steady but she backed away aggressively at my actions. She seemed, hurt.

Y/n: I wasn't asking.

She pushed pass me and grabbed her jacket from the rack and slipped it on in a swift movement, hurriedly rushing to get her shoes on too. Before she was fully prepared to leave, I snatched her keys from the counter and held them in my hand, the numerous key rings jingling away at my slightest movements. The sound caught the attention of her eyes and she looked at me with such drive and certainty, I knew what I was doing was right. I just hoped she would see that too. 

Y/n: Give me the keys Tom.

Tom: You know that's not a good idea.

Y/n: I'm going to go see my little brother. Give me the damn keys.

I stood firm and shook my head. She grew frustrated and her eyes welled up, no matter how painful it was for me to watch, I stood my ground.

Tom: You're going to make things worse for yourself. You promised Noah you'd get him back, this isn't the way how. I know it hurts, I know all you want is to get him back and you will. You just have to play your cards smart and he'll come home. You need to be strong for just a bit longer.

Her arms dropped to her sides and she slowly took off her jacket, throwing it on the floor and stepping closer to me.

Y/n: Why are you here? Why are you doing all of this? Helping me isn't going to get you anything you know? I have no money to give you, no favours I could return. So what is it? Is there something wrong with you? You think just cause you play Spider-Man you can save every damsel in distress you find? Look at us! We're nothing but complicated. Why would you want anything to do with this?

Tom: Y/n come on, it's late you should get to bed.

Y/n: No. Tell me. Is it some fucked up method acting thing you have to do? Or are you just waiting for another chance you have of sleeping with me?

Tom: Y/n...

Y/n: Come on Spiderman. Tell me what's wrong with you!

Tom: Why does there have to be something wrong with me?

Y/n: Because people always have another agenda. Everyone is a monster remember?

Tom: Stop saying that Y/n it's not true.

Y/n: Bullshit. Look just leave now then, I'm giving you a way out. A get out of jail free card, take it, leave now.

Tom: I'm not doing that Y/n.

Y/n: Why not?!

Tom: Because I'm in love with you!