Prologue

Lilo Jameson is the type of girl that was very trustworthy and would never break the rules, but she was also tough and would never let people give her shit. She was the epitome of what girls wanted to be, but her life was difficult because her mom was in the military while her dad had left them. Since her mom was in special forces that meant she would be home with her for a few months and then be gone for a year. That meant she needed to grow up faster than the other kids her age. Now she's 18 years old and a senior who lived next door to the leader of Los Santos and her best friend who was the little brother of the leader.

          Cesar and Lilo first were friends when she was in the fifth grade and her mother was home for a few months while Cesar was in the first grade. He was getting a hard time from a school bully so she went and scared the bully away before her mom went to the gate that parents usually arrived at to pick their kids up. Later in the day, laughter filled the little girl's ear so she looked out of the window in the living room and saw the same little boy laughing with his dad.

          He saw her in the window and gave her a cheeky smile and wave, which confused his dad so he turned to see who he was waving to see a cute little girl who was waving back. The father turned back to his son and gave him a smile before kneeling down to his size.

          "Who is that girl, mijo?"

         "She's the girl who saved me from the bully," young Cesar smiled wide.

         Raymond laughed, "C'mon, let's go thank her then, huh?"

         The father and son went to the front door of their neighbors and knocked on the door only to see a mother that was crying and a daughter that was crying as well.

        "We can come back another time..." Raymond started to back up.

        "Oh, no. I'm not going to be here tomorrow. What is it that you needed?" The mother sniffled.

       "My boy here says that your daughter had helped him with a bully and he wanted to come and say 'thank you' to her," Raymond put a hand on Cesar's shoulder.

       "Oh, yeah. Lilo, come here! Someone wants to see you," Mariel yelled, "Come in! Would you like to stay for dinner?"

       "I wouldn't want to intrude..." Raymond started but was cut off by a little girl's voice.

       "Want to play with cars with me?" Lilo wiped tears from her eyes.

        Cesar looked at his dad in question allowing him to receive a nod so the two ran to the other room to play. Raymond laughed, "well, never mind then. Those two decided to play together,"

        Mariel laughed, "well, my name is Mariel. What's your name and your son's?"

       "His name is Cesar. I'm Raymond. May I ask...why are you leaving tomorrow?"

       "I'm in the Army and my husband left us, so I'm only home for a few months," Mariel shrugged.

        The parents got to know each other and the two kids got to know each other too, which had led to a lifelong friendship with a few other people. However, Cesar and Lilo were always the closest to each other because Lilo took care of Cesar as well as helped him with his problems, she was a mother figure and sister figure altogether. Monse, Jamal, and Ruby understood that so they never were really offended when the two would hang out together alone because they were all each other had.

        Oscar Diaz, the older brother of Cesar, knew Lilo but never had gotten to know her. However, the summer that Oscar had come back from prison would change their whole friendship.