Prologue

Darkness. It's the only thing around me that I can feel. The only thing that I can see. What was before the darkness? What was I? Was I anything? Am I the darkness? It doesn't feel like I am. The darkness feels wrong to me, but I can't escape it. It's not like I can anyways. I'm too tired, too tired to do anything.

'Wake up' I heard.

I can hear? What am I hearing? Are those words? What do those words mean? What are words?

'For God's sake, wake up'

A voice. I can hear a voice. A very annoying voice. How can a voice be annoying? What does annoying mean?

'At least you can make coherent thoughts. That's good. The next thing I need you to do is wake up child'

Wake up? How do I do that?

'Open your eyes. I'm told that helps a lot'

The voice was familiar. It spoke with a familiar annoyance. Wait, Guardian?

'Yes... now open your Goddamn eyes' Guardian said.

The darkness fell away. I could feel something other than it. I could feel my body... and every part of it was hurting like a bitch. My memories came back seconds later. I force my eyes open and look around me.

"I'm alive" is the first thing that I say. "I'm fucking alive!"

Rubble and dust were the closest things I can see. In the background, I could see small groups of flames. I made an earthquake, I did this. How many bodies are under this chaos? How many did I kill?

'None that mattered. Agus is dead and Steward got crushed' said Guardian.

'Who's Steward?'

'The guard'

'Oh. Wait, what happened to Jax?'

Did I kill him? Is he alive? Is he ok? God, I hope he is.

'He's perfectly fine. He's right next to you' Guardian explained.

Looking left and right, I was disappointed when I didn't see Jax.

'The hell are you talking about'

'Look down idiot'

I looked down and low and behold, there was Jax. He seemed to be asleep and didn't look injured, but I probably wouldn't be able to see a head injury from where I'm at.

'You sure he isn't dead?' I ask Guardian.

'He still has a pulse, if that's what you're asking'

'I guess that helps'

I crawl to Jax and start shaking him.

"C'mon Jax. Wake up"

I keep shaking him until I hear the man grown. It must have taken me at least 2 minutes of constantly shaking him to get a sign from him.

"Welcome to the land of the living. I thought you were dead" I tell him as he gets into a sitting position.

"I thought you killed me" he says.

"Well, I clearly didn't"

'You were about too, but I saved the both of you last minute' said Guardian.

Well, that answers that question. Of course Guardian would swoop in and save me before I inevitably kill myself.

"Who's that?" asked Jax.

"Who?"

Could Jax hear Guardian or is there someone else?

'He can hear me' explained Guardian.

"Oh. Jax, this is Guardian, the source for all my powers. Guardian, this is Jax" I explain.

Jax's is looking at me like I'm insane. Of course he would be, I just told him there's another being living in me. Now that I think about it, that sounds very wrong. Voice in my head sounds less like I'm possessed and more like I'm crazy. In this situation tho, which one is worse?

'You two should get out of here' Guardian pitched in.

"How do we do that voice? The closest city is a 4 day walk away, and we don't have any money"

'Take the car'

Confused, I try to remember if there's a car nearby. Was there a car nearby? Oh wait, there was the garage where the guards kept trucks. There was also a car inside the warehouse, if I remember correctly.

'Take the car, not the trucks'

"Alright, alright, fine"

"Why not the trucks?" asks Jax.

"Don't ask, just do. First rule of interacting with Guardian, never ask questions. It's a waste of your time and mine since she doesn't answer"

'Stop wasting time talking about me and start getting a move on' says Guardian.

And, as always, Guardian tells us to do something. Jax and I don't debate with her and start hiking towards the warehouse. The earthquake destroyed the entire base. Parts of the base where stacked on top of each other, making giant mountains of debris everywhere. Once on top of one of the debris pills, it was easy to see the amount of destruction the earthquake made. It also helped us locate the warehouse where the car was at. The warehouse looked even more destroyed than before.

"Um, you sure we need to take the car?" asked Jax. "It doesn't look like there's a car left"

'There is one' Guardian answered.

"Alright, if you say so"

We moved forwards, towards the warehouse. The debris was a bigger obstacle than I could have thought. Climbing up and down pieces of concrete after waking up isn't a great idea. Once a few meters away from the warehouse, a thought strikes me, one I should have thought about a while ago.

'What the hell happened to the operators?'

'They are fine. A helicopter picked them up' answered Guardian.

'Oh, are they coming back to pick us up?' I ask.

There was a long pause before Guardian answered.

'Get to the car'

And here I was thinking she would actually answer my question. God damn it.