Chapter 21

3 weeks later
HENNA CEREMONY

The house is full of perfect happiness, everyone doing one thing or the other, old women singing in such a way that their voices swing. "it isn't the wedding day and they are already singing like the knot is tied already. Says "inthy" whom peeped through the door.

"it's part of the ceremony, you don't expect the house to be quiet as before.  Uttered "islam". Rumaysah's maternal cousin.

Yeah. But, the old women are just making a hell of a noise - a loud unpleasant sound they call song. "what a disturbance. Rumyh says as she stretches her leg for the henna tattoo.

Em--m what's her name zahra pondered. Yeah "henna designer" she concluded steadfastly taking a short glance at "inthy, rumyh and I.

You shouldn't call her that. She's "Benazir" a Sudanese. I said to her prior to eating the pumpkin pie aunt brought for me.

Yes sister in-law. I won't say that again. “I'm sorry Benazir”

Heyy don't apologize. It's okay, besides what I'm i if not a henna designer. You see I'm proud of what I do.

Zahra rolled her eyes and said again, "just accept my apology shikenan and yeah, I wanted saying "you should use the henna to design my sister in-law's collarbone, as in motif a flower or rather a cute chain.. It's gonna look beautiful, it really gonna take my brother's breath away. Oh I just can't imagine how pretty you will look with it. She concluded clapping excitedly

“Shush zahra. You talk alot. Says rumyh as benazir smiled and continued what she was doing.

The thought of "jawhar" kept twirling in my mind like I can't get enough of his thoughts. I'm loving him with every passing second. I wanna see him. It really been days since i saw him last. What a good-for-nothing doctrine our parents still hold onto. Depriving jawhar and I from seeing each other since the wedding week mark is a scurrility of love. I whispered as a hissing sound escaped my mouth.

"why is the bride hissing" Islam asked as she paint her lips blue.

what's wrong rumyh? Asked Zahara

Have you started missing him already? inthy questioned as she typed away on her phone.

I gawked at each one of them for a second as my mouth grew longer as in a moue. Addition to that, an intense dislike from the useless doctrine displayed on my face.

I must see him today. But, how? My mind questioned.

"Do you wanna see my bro? I heard a whisper in my ears, making me flinch immediately. Glancing at whom it was, i locked gaze with a smiling zahra.   Uhhh she made a sound raising her left brow as in "Do you"

Yeah. I nodded smiling back which made zahra to whirl on her toes like a dancer saying;

“Listen everyone! My sister in-law said she.....!

What is she about to say i faintly whisper prior to leaving my seat quickly. I made my way to her with no joke on my face before sealing her lips with my hands which left her words on hold. “You ain't saying a word are you?

uh-uh she groan shaking her head a no same time trying to unlock my hand from her mouth but couldn't.

"Let go of her" jawahir a voice thundered.

I quickly let go of her, looking in the direction to see who the speaker was and on the sight of "Aunt umaymah" i smiled finding my way to her. I was literally a few steps from her when she says again;

“Don't come any close. Dabba Kawai. She uttered firmly like I've done something seriously wrong.

Dabba kuma? I repeated dazed by her utterance.