Chapter Eight

"Luna, I have to go. Caitlin needs me" Barry said, running a hand through the canine's soft, fur coat as she sat at his heels and awarded him a confused look.

Shortly after the call, Barry packed a small suitcase at the speed of light. After they'd been together for a year, he believed it to be a necessary purchase. Most teenagers would work insane hours to save for a car or the best cell phone. Bary, however, served Central City's finest coffee with a smile; keeping his and Caitlin's future in mind.

Not wanting to wake his parents, he left a post-it note on their bedroom door that read: Cait's in a tight spot. She needs me right away. Barry wrung out his hands and drew in a deep breath as he opened the door to leave. Hopefully, they'd understand.

"I'm coming, Cait" Barry whispered under his breath as he began the journey to the train on foot.

As the night grew older and he was only a block away from his destination, the hairs on the back of Barry's neck stood up. For the first time in two years, he was suddenly intimidated by the nightly surroundings of the city. During the day, the city was full of life and friendly personalities, for the most part. However, the night life was a different story. The city was pretty much dormant unless you went out for dinner at a five star restaurant or hung out at a bar. Crime rate wasn't too high what with Detective Joe West and the rest of the CCPD patrolling the city.

Barry ran his hands over the sides of his khaki pants as his palms began to perspire. Despite all the praises that had been sung about the city's safety, Barry was always so cautious. He could never be too careful about who he might meet on his late night commutes to visit Caitlin.

He was minutes away from the train station. Looking down at the watch on his left wrist; which Caitlin had gifted him for his last birthday, he realized it was nearly 4am. He knew she was most likely fast asleep at this point. Her anxious mind and confused soul now resting at ease, knowing that he was on his way. Did he dare try to call on the off chance that she was still awake?

The phone trembled in his cold and clammy hand as he selected her number and dialed, taking a chance.

"Hey stranger" Caitlin teased through a yawn. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just a few minutes away from the train. I'm sorry if I woke you. I just called because I wanted to hear your voice. Are you okay?"

"Felicity and I talked it through. I'm a lot better now than I was initially. There is just no way I'm going home to someone so unsupportive. I mean, she criticized the ring! Can you believe that?"

"Don't worry, honey. I'll turn that into a real diamond someday" Barry assured her as he lightly jogged the rest of the way. He only looked ahead to make sure that he was headed in the right direction.

Having been engulfed by the chilling blanket of the night sky, the wind whispering haunting thoughts in his ear, Barry raised an arm to his face. He was blinded by the sudden glow of the train's headlights. As he continued to walk forward and the steam engine's whistle filled his ear with a ringing sensation, he thought nothing of the 2006 black Pontiac G6 that trailed behind him.

The car was loaded with a group of young men in their early 20s. In the driver's seat was a caucasian boy in a forest green hoodie with light brown hair, who appeared to be growing the beginnings of a beard.

"Look at that loser on his phone. Why not put that target practice to good use, Oliver? Whatchuwaitinfor?" one of his friends piped up from the back seat behind him, slurring his words together.

"Nah. Let him go, Ollie. He's clearly in love. He's probably putting her to bed right now. Speaking of, how's Laurel?" his best friend, Tommy Merlyn asked as he took another swig of beer in the passenger's seat and patted Oliver on the shoulder.