The First Meeting

Khushi Kumari Gupta pushed her wet hair out of her face as she finally stood in front of her destination--Shantivan, the mansion that the Raizadas called home. It was large and enchanting and utterly intimidating. Maybe she should turn back. But she couldn't. Not when there was so much at stake.

Thunder rumbled as she slowly approached the gates. A guard appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, an umbrella held over his head as he curiously observed the disheveled girl before him. "Can I help you, Miss?"

"I'd like to speak to Ms. Anjali Raizada," she said, though it sounded more like a question than an actual request.

"One moment, please." The guard disappeared from sight. Khushi shivered as the rain continued pouring on her. At this point though, it didn't really bother her. She was already soaked to the bone.

If things had gone to plan, she'd have been here hours ago. She was supposed to leave Lucknow at 6 in the morning, but Ama Ji's health had suddenly taken a turn for the worse and Khushi had rushed to the hospital instead. But it had been a false alarm; Ama Ji survived the episode and Khushi ended up catching the train to Delhi three hours later than she intended.

Once in Delhi, Khushi faced another problem. She'd planned to take a taxi to Raizada Mansion but it turned out that taxis in Delhi were much more expensive than those in Lucknow and she simply didn't have enough money. Eventually, she ended up haggling with a Rickshaw driver, who agreed to take her.

But stupid her, she gave him the money upfront. Halfway to her destination, it started pouring and the Rickshaw driver refused to go any further. She argued and pleaded but to no avail, and finally she asked him to tell her where the place was. He gave her vague directions and she stepped out and started walking.

She got lost three times and had to hail down passing taxis only to disappoint them when all she wanted was to ask for directions.

But at least she was here now. She looked up at the dark sky, wondering what time it was. What if it was all for naught? What if they wouldn't see her? She shook her head and straightened her shoulders. No, she would not leave until they at least heard her case. She would sit out here all night if she had to.

The guard came back and opened the gates. "Come in," he called.

"Thank you, Chacha," she said gratefully before making her way to the doors.

She rang the doorbell only once before the door was flung open and standing in front of her was a very angry young man.

****

"I like this one," Anjali Raizada told her brother, holding out a resume.

"Okay, Di," murmured Arnav Singh Raizada as he took it from her. It had been a year since the two had opened up their factory and the business had bloomed, so much so that they needed to hire a proper secretary. Tonight, the two were hunched over their dining room table, looking over a list of potential applicants.

He put the paper in their small pile of shortlisted applicants. He snorted as he looked at another one that had obvious grammatical errors right on the cover letter and placed that on the much larger pile of rejects.

His phone buzzed suddenly and he distractedly picked it up as he looked over another CV. "Arnav Saab, there's a girl here to see Anjali Saiba."

"What?" Arnav glanced at his wristwatch. Who could possibly be here to see his sister at 10:30 at night? And in this weather?

"What is it chote?" asked Anjali, concerned.