Chapter 1

"Alex! Wait up!" Jo called from down the hallway of Grey Sloan Memorial. She rushed to meet her husband in the elevator before the doors closed.
"Hey!" Alex said, taking her hand and giving her a gentle kiss.
"Yeah. I'm exhausted. I've been in the OR all day with Mer, and I can't even remember the last time I ate. Or slept. I feel like shit."
Alex ran his hand through her curly hair, flashing her his crooked grin, which made her feel a bit better already. She smiled, which lit up Alex's world.
"How about take out and a movie, say we eat it in bed?" Alex suggested.
"This is why I love you." Jo teased in response. The two walked out of the elevator, hand in hand, into the cold, dark night.
In the morning, the alarm went off in the loft at 6:30, just like every other day. Jo sat up and her hand flew to cover her mouth, and she ran to the bathroom before Alex could even say good morning.
Being as protective of Jo as he was, Alex hurried after her to see Jo hurling into the toilet. He gathered her hair and held it out of her face, rubbing circles on her back in attempt to comfort her.
When Jo had emptied the contents of her stomach into the toilet, she was finally able to sit up and form a sentence.
"Morning," She said sarcastically.
"Jo, you shouldn't go in today- you look awful." Alex held the back of his hand to her forehead, checking for a fever. Jo pushed it away and attempted to get up.
"Im fine, it's just a 24 hour thing."
"You can't see patients like this. Bailey will let you have the day."
Jo tried for several seconds to come up with a clever response, but was instead hit with another wave of nausea.
"Fine, but only because I don't think I'm gonna be able to get off the floor."
Alex was reluctant to go to work that day, but Jo was finally able to convince him to go in. A few hours after he had said goodbye and left for work, Mer stopped by to check on Jo per his request.
"Jo?" She called out, opening the door.
Meredith heard a moan across the room, and saw Jo wrapped up in a blanket in her bed, laying in a fetal position. Meredith sat at the foot of the bed, ready to go into "supportive friend" mode.
"Have you been eating? Do you have a fever? What are your symptoms?"
"Ughhh." Jo groaned. She had thought staying home meant a break from work, but apparently not. "Nausea. Vomiting. Dizziness..." She went on.
"Jo- are you..." Meredith hesitated.
"What?" Jo said, wanting Meredith to leave her alone and let her sleep.
"Did you take a pregnancy test?"
Jo sat up too fast, which only made her feel worse. She was shocked, mostly because she hadn't even thought of it.
"No. I didn't even- Oh my god, what's today's date?"
"Uh.... the 12th, I think."
"Crap." She said, under her breath so Meredith wouldn't hear. "I'm late."
"Do you have a pregnancy test around here somewhere?" Mer says, getting up to look around.
"No, I don't think so. God, could I really be pregnant?"
"Well, yeah. You could be" Mer said sarcastically. Jo rolled her eyes and flopped back onto the bed, covering her head with a pillow. "I'll be right back." Mer added, heading out the door.
She returned 20 minutes later from the drug store with a shopping bag filled with assorted pregnancy tests.
Jo sat on the toilet with the stick in her hand and watched as it turned blue. She had her answer. Now, all she needed was Alex.

This is the first chapter of Forever and a day! I hope you like what you've read so far! Keep going to find out what happens next! Please consider voting for this chapter, and feel free to comment any ideas or requests below!