Chapter 16

"The caterers are on the way?"
"Yep."
"You got the cake?"
"Mhmm."
"And everyone is on almost here?"
"And the decorations are put out, the games for the kids are set up, I wrapped our present- I told you Jo, everything is ready for the party."
"I just wanna make sure everything is perfect for our girl." Jo said, scanning the house one last time.
It was Brooklyn's first birthday, and the Karev's were having a huge party. Since the loft wasn't ideal for a party, they were having the party at Mer's house. Meredith was downstairs setting out snacks and what not, and Alex and Jo were getting ready to greet people. Maggie was upstairs with Zola, Bailey, and Ellis, who were all working to get Brooklyn dressed up.
"Look who's ready for her party?" Maggie says, carrying her down the stairs. The other kids followed.
"Hi baby!" Jo squealed, taking her 1 year old from her aunt Maggie.
She was wearing a cute white shirt that said "one" in glitter with a pink tutu and matching pink and gold headband. Her hair was in 2 little sprouts on her head.
"I go down." She said, squirming out of her mommy's arms. She had just started walking and never seemed to stop, so Jo and Alex couldn't take their eyes of her for even a second.
She toddled over to the spot on the carpet where she left her snack cup and sat beside it to enjoy some of her puffs.
Ellis sat beside her and started playing with some blocks Meredith left out for the baby.
"Mom, do you need help with anything?" Zola asked Meredith, who had just finished laying out cups and plates at the snack table.
"No, I think that's it. You can go change into your party dress, though."
5 minutes later, someone knocked at the door. Jo scooped up Brooklyn and held her on her hip while Alex let in the guests.
Amelia and Link were the first ones to arrive, along with a giant gift bag overflowing with tissue paper that said "You're one!"
"There's the worlds cutest goddaughter!" Amelia says, pinching her little cheek.  "Uncle Link and I got a little something for you." She says, trading Jo the bag for the baby.
"That was so sweet! And thanks for coming you guys!" Jo says, giving Link a hug. She sets the present down on the table in the back and lets the next people in- Teddy and Owen with Leo and Allison, then April and Mathew with Ruby and Harriet, Jackson, Ben, Miranda and Tuck, Catherine and Richard, and Callie, Arizona and Sofia who flew in from New York for the weekend.
By the time everyone had arrived, the house was packed, the back table was overflowing with presents, and little Brooklyn was being passed around the house from person to person.
Jo and Alex sat on the couch and watched as everyone took turns cooing over Brook.
All of a sudden, Jo burst out laughing.
Alex smiled and cocked his head.
"What?" He chuckled.
"I'm just thinking about the last parties we were at in this house. Kind of a mess." She began. "And how I came back here after Ben and Baileys wedding and had to sleep on the floor because you had no furniture. And how you tucked me into your bed upstairs the night you told me you loved me. We just have a lot of history in this house. And... who thought that after all this time we'd be married and celebrating our baby girl's first birthday?"
Alex smiled and gave Jo a kiss.
"I did. Right from the moment I kissed you for the first time I knew that I wanted all of that with you. This."
Jo leaned her head on Alex.
"Promise me that we'll keep making those kinds of memories together? I don't wanna lose all of the magic we have together just because we have a daughter. Promise me we'll always make time for us and we'll always be together."
"I promise."
"Speaking of making memories, everyone seems pretty distracted by our adorable kid, so I don't think anyone would notice if we snuck upstairs." Jo giggled.
And with that, Alex tossed Jo over his shoulder like the first time, and Jo blew a kiss to Brooklyn as they ran up the stairs. And nothing else mattered.
*
*
*
Hey guys!! I hope you liked this story, because that was officially the last chapter. While I'm sad to be done with it, I'm so excited to release what I've been working on shortly!! I'm so grateful for everyone who read, voted and commented on this book, especially those of you who have need doing so since the beginning. Love you all!!!