The Hunt

With spring came the need for meat as the storehouse was dwindling. The need for meat drove the De Noir clan to the forest, their hunting grounds, now plagued by the shadow men. Coeur De Noir seemed driven almost mad as several days had passed without so much as a sighting. But there were plenty of whispers around the castle as the news of the failed attempt to capture three of their men spread and rose questions.

A branch to the east snapped, drawing Robin's attention from where he sat waiting, hidden from sight. As he positioned himself to close in, a hand clamped onto his shoulder, causing the leather clad heir to abruptly turn, dagger in hand. To his dismay he was met with his closest companion, Henry, cackling at what he thought was a hysterical reaction.

"You're lucky I don't put my dagger through you." Robin spoke through gritted teeth

"C'mon, Robin! Don't be so much like your father. Live a little." Henry laughed.

Tired of hearing his friend gloat about sneaking up on him, Robin took the opportunity to make his way down the hill towards one of the traps they'd set earlier. To his dismay, whatever had been in the trap had found a way to break itself loose and free itself but not without injury. With a frustrated sigh, Robin bent down to examine the broken trap, another thing to add to his growing list of responsibilities and work.

A high shrill rang out in the air followed. Looking up, Robin tracked the sound to a rabbit caught on some bramble. Crouching, he examined the animal's predicament as he attempted to untangle its feet and matted fur from the prickly shrub when he felt a hand clamp onto his shoulder again. Annoyed with his friend, Robin sighed in frustration and attempted to ignore him, but his friend was persistent.

"That won't work again, Henry. Get back to checking the traps." Robin ordered

Turning to look up at his companion, he was met with the sight of a dark hooded figure instead. As he stood to grab for his dagger, a hood was thrown over his head. 

The scream is what drew Henry's attention. Robin's scream. Taking off from his position where he had spotted a deer, he rushed int the direction of the scream. He raced down the hill, almost sending himself tumbling down head first in his urgency. He saw the broken trap first. He saw the blood on the tree second. He snatched up Robin's unmistakable leather jacket, torn in places and hanging onto the bramble bushes.

He began frantically looking for tracks, calling out to his friend, not wanting to accept the worst. There had been an obvious struggle, and the blood was fresh. As panic set in, he took off towards the De Noir fortress. Racing into the dining hall, all eyes were focused on him.

"Robin's been taken!" Henry shouted

"What?" Coeur De Noir paused, his cup just inches from his mouth.

"We were out checking the traps when the shadow men attacked him. There was blood splattered across the tree and this was all that was left." Henry shook

The hall remained silent as he held out Robin's jacket. Coeur De Noir's face paled in recognition of the familiar piece of clothing. His heavy chair scraped across the ground as he stood, walking to meet Henry. His face reddened as he began to fume while clutching the torn jacket in his callused hands.

"Show me. Take me there at once!" Coeur De Noir commanded

~~~~~~~

That night, a heavy mist rolled in from the forest. It seemed to climb the walls of the fortress, leaving nothing visible. Even the moon's light couldn't penetrate it. The guards became increasingly nervous as the night drew on. The silence only adding to their rising panic until it was broken by a woman's shriek in horror.

In an instant, all were gathered. Coeur De Noir pushed his way through the dense crowd. The foggy mist did nothing to help him see what the commotion was about. Reaching the front, his heart sank. In large, roughly scrawled, red, dripping letters read "Fra Mauro".

Beside the name, a dagger was sunk deep into the wood, pinning a rough piece of paper in place. Coeur De Noir hesitated before gripping the dagger and letter, yanking both from where they had been flapped in the wind. Dulac, his right hand man, ordered everyone to leave the scene as Coeur De Noir read.

Coeur De Noir turned from the letter to look upon the dagger in his hands. The blade was unmistakable as he had been the one to gift it to his son many years ago. Dulac stood before the leader of the clan, awaiting further orders.

"Get my horse! I must speak to Benjamin." Coeur De Noir commanded, folding the letter, its contents burned into his mind.

We are not shadow men. We refuse to be in your shadow any longer. We are the Fra Mauro.

-------------------------------

Thank you for reading! Yes, I know, a cliff hanger.

Please vote, comment, and share!