Daggers & Jackets

Maria seemed to be jerked awake. As she stared at her ceiling, she heard the distant and familiar sound out her window. She shivered as her feet hit the cold floor and made her way to her window. 

The white horse danced outside in the early morning air, throwing its head back as if it were upset about something. As Maria looked on confused, Coeur De Noir came galloping out of the forest on his horse and began to cross the field, approaching the manor at great speed. The sun had barely begun to paint the sky. This had to be urgent.

Throwing on her wrap over her nightgown and her pulling on her boots, Maria dashed down the stairs of her tower. She yelled for her uncle and Loveday as loud as her lungs could. Loveday swung open the door.

"Maria, what's happened?" Loveday asked, eyes heavy with sleep

"Coeur De Noir! He's here!" Maria yelled

"Goodness gracious! Maria! It is unladylike to yell." Miss Heliotrope fretted

Maria refused to stop and listen to anymore. She continued her fast pace down the stairs as the knocks on the door echoed through the house. Maria reached them, throwing the heavy door open as everyone came down the stairs and into the main hall. Coeur De Noir stood there out of breath as he climbed the stairs.

"Benjamin, I apologize for coming at this hour but it is urgent." Coeur De Noir breathed

"What is it?" Benjamin asked

Coeur De Noir swallowed hard, winded from his ride. He tightened his grip on the fabric that laid in his hand. Maria stared, it looked so familiar to her. Loveday had noticed it also, sucking in a sharp breath as she recognized the bundle of fabric.

"Father?" Loveday asked softly, "Has something happened?"

"They've taken Robin." Coeur De Noir said

Loveday cried out in horror. Attempting to soothe and console her, Benjamin wrapped his arms around her and lead her to sit in his chair. Maria gripped onto the banister as the words seemed to crash through her.

"Earlier in the evening he had gone to hunt in the forest. His companion wasn't able to reach him in time. I saw the blood for myself. I saw where the fight happened." Coeur De Noir paused for a moment, "This morning a message written in fresh blood was found on the storehouse walls with this letter stuck to it with Robin's dagger. With that amount of blood we believe him to be..."

The room remained silent. Maria sat on the entrance steps in disbelief, hands still gripping the banister, turning her knuckles white. Benjamin nodded to the clan leader, understanding that the word need not be spoken at the time. He took the letter, reading it over carefully before looking up and around the room.

"Digweed, might you escort Loveday back upstairs, and fetch her some tea while you're at it." Benjamin sighed

He placed a gentle kiss upon Loveday's hand before ushering Coeur De Noir into his study, hidden away behind heavy wooden doors. Digweed assisted Loveday up the stairs awkwardly attempting to soothe her, leaving Maria with Miss Heliotrope.

"Well now. I do believe that a bit of French is always good for the soul." Miss Heliotrope squawked nervously.

~~~~~~~~~~

The study doors had remained closed all morning. Just the same, Loveday remained shut up in her and Benjamin's room without a peep. Reading French with Miss Heliotrope did nothing for Maria's distracted mind as her eyes wandered from the pages to the study doors. This led to Miss Heliotrope's frustration until she relented, calling it a day.

As Maria sat in her uncle's chair, watching Digweed poke at the embers of the fire in an attempt to keep the flames alive, the door swung open. Benjamin followed Coeur De Noir out. They spoke in hushed tones, something about Loveday evidently as both men looked up towards the top of the stairs.

With a firm nod from her uncle, Benjamin began the walk up the stairs as Coeur De Noir turned to look at Maria. Digweed had since left, leaving it to be just the two of them. His heavy steps echoed through the hall as he came to a stop beside Loveday's chair.

"I'm sorry about...." Maria ducked her head, unable to say his name

As she looked down at her lap, heavy black fabric came into view as Coeur De Noir placed Robin's jacket on her lap. Placing her hand over the familiar material, she looked up to meet Coeur De Noir's unreadable face. Reaching to his side, he pulled out another item that Maria knew all too well belonged to Robin, his dagger. Coeur De Noir turned it over in his hands, examining it carefully.

"They call themselves Fra Mauro. And they will pay for what they've done." Coeur De Noir said coldly, "Our forest has become a dark place, Robin would've wanted to protect you at all costs. For his sake, don't let it be a waste."

Coeur De Noir's face pulled into a look of disgust and anger as he stared at the dagger. The same look Maria had seen from the night of the 5000th moon. He stepped forward and placed the dagger into Maria's hands, releasing it quickly as if it burned to touch it. He abruptly turned, making his way down the stairs and out the door.

Maria pressed her hands into the familiar fabric on her lap, unfolding it with care. Her fingers brushed over the rips and tears. She closed her eyes and inhaled the familiar scent of leather and the damp forest. She breathed in the familiar scent of Robin.

As she picked up the dagger, she turned it over in her hands, examining it closely. It was heavy just as she remembered it being from when she hung him by his ankles from a tree. A smile pulled at her lips. It wasn't that she didn't want to accept the possibility of him being gone. It was the buzz in the air, the Moonacre magic. Something about it was pushing her, telling her that Robin was still alive and she was determined to prove it.

-------------------

Thank you for reading! I greatly appreciate it!

Please comment, vote, and share!