Caskets & Keys

The decaying tree groaned as Robin vaulted himself over it, landing with both feet firmly on the ground, making his way to the trap. This had become his new routine. Wake up, ask Father about Maria, check traps, do chores, go to dinner and inquire about Maria, go to bed, wrestle with nightmares about Maria, and repeat the next morning. He felt as though he was going out of his mind.

Shaking his head, he moved onto the next trap. It'd been ten days since that wretched day and still no word on Maria's condition. Kneeling, he checked the trap, ensuring that it was properly set. She was wearing on his mind as she was all he could think about. She had overtaken both his dreams and waking thoughts. 

As Robin stood, turning to begin the trek to the last trap, a glimpse of pale skin and auburn hair made him halt in his tracks. Surely this was just a cruel trick his mind was playing on him as he'd been sleep deprived ever since the nightmares had begun. Pressing his palm against the tree to his side, as if it were his only connection to reality if this were a hallucination, he swallowed hard and looked her over. She appeared to be just as caught off guard as he was, but oh how the smile that tugged at her lips made his heart flip.

Please don't be a hallucination...

"Robin." Maria spoke carefully

Letting out a pleased chuckle, "Princess." Pulling on his usual smirk, "I thought I told you to stay out of the forest."

Her heart lept out of her chest at his smirk, "And if I had listened, you wouldn't have been rescued."

"I'd hardly call getting yourself captured a rescue." Robin chuckled, "Although, I have to admire your spirit."

His laugh made the blush bloom brightly on her cheeks. Wrapping an arm around the tree, Robin swung himself around to the other side of the trunk and lazily began in the direction of the final trap. Maria followed, falling into step beside him as a comfortable silence surrounded them.

 Maria followed, falling into step beside him as a comfortable silence surrounded them

"Will you be attending the wedding?" Maria inquired

"Father has made sure of it that all De Noir's are to attend." Robin explained, "Shouldn't you be back at the manor resting?"

"Loveday said that some fresh air would do me some good to gain my strength back." Maria offered, "If Uncle had his way, I'd be tucked away in my room."

Robin knelt by the trap as Maria watched his fingers make quick work of rigging the basket trap, much like the one she had found her rabbit Serena in last fall. Robin could feel her gaze on him as he pulled out a crudely made dagger, cutting a notch into parts of the trap to allow it to close properly.

"I lost your dagger." Maria nervously breathed out in disappointment.

"Better to have lost it than you." Robin  spoke.

The words had seemed to leap from his heart and past his lips before he had a moment to consider them. Standing, Robin put the dagger away at his side. He could feel his ears and cheeks beginning to flush as the gravity of his words sunk in.

Taking a hesitant step forward, Robin reached out, removing a little twig that had become tangled in Maria's braid. The soft spring breeze brought the familiar earthy and leather scent to Maria's nose. It was a scent she had learned to find comfort in. Robin reached out, carefully touching his calloused fingertips against the side of her face, checking to make sure he wasn't hallucinating.

Maria's breath hitched in her chest as Robin leaned into her. His feathers tickled against her neck as he kissed her. His lips were soft, she noted, a stark contrast compared to his fingertips that felt rough against her skin from the year of hard laboring his father had put him through.

"They'll be looking for me soon." Robin whispered

"I do suppose disappearing for days at a time would make your father worry." Maria smiled, "Uncle will be wondering where I am. I told him I wouldn't be gone long."

"I'll take you back then." Robin offered

Robin led the way, assisting Maria over a fallen limb, not because she needed the help but as his excuse to touch her and hold her hand for a few moments longer. The trek back felt too short as the manor came into view. However, as they approached, the all too familiar and unmistakable sight of Coeur De Noir's horse greeted them. 

Robin paused in the doorway, not sure if he should follow Maria up the stairs or return to De Noir castle before his father found that he had been slacking off. Maria paused mid-stride, turning back to see why Robin hadn't followed. With a firm tug on his arm, Maria made the decision for him.

The room vibrated with a nervous tension. Loveday sat in Benjamin's chair as Coeur De Noir leaned against the mantle of the fireplace, brandy glass in hand. Benjamin paced the room, hands behind his behind his back as he did when he had a particularly difficult matter to handle. Resting atop the small table beside the armchair sat a leather pouch. Spilling out of the mouth of the pouch were pearls, a deep coal black color. While not fully understanding what happened to them, Maria knew the objects well.

"The Moon Pearls." Maria gasped.

"Maria!" Loveday breathed, standing and drawing all eyes to Maria.

"What happened to them?" Maria asked, concern lacing her voice.

"We believe Robin may have-" Loveday was cut off

"Robin?" Maria's brow creased in confusion as she turned to him

"He used their power-" Coeur De Noir started

"Used their power?" Maria was stunned in disbelief, color draining from her face as she recoiled from him. "What did you do to them?"

Turning she looked to Loveday for answers, "What does this mean for us? For the valley?"

"Maria, wait!" Robin said.

She froze, hearing her name roll off his tongue. He held her by her wrists so as to stop her from recoiling away from him further, pleading with her not to. Gently lifting her chin, he caught her gaze, holding it there as she stilled. His hands trailed to hers, his thumbs tracing a soothing pattern along her skin. Loveday placed a gentle hand upon Maria's shoulder, bringing her attention to her as Robin dropped her hands.

"Maria, you had stopped breathing. We believe that when Robin returned the pearls back a final time, that he traded their power for your life." Loveday spoke calmly.

Maria shook her head, "How could you possibly be sure?"

"Because I saw her, heard her even." Robin swallowed hard.

"Who?" Benjamin questioned

"The white horse. She's how I reached you, how I pulled you out of the water." Robin held Maria's gaze.

"Then we'll hide them away. Coeur De Noir, do you still have the pearl casket?" Maria questioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! I appreciate it!

Please comment, vote, and share!