Perhaps

The pearls felt more dense as she held them in her palm. Their dark color and weight felt dead, a harsh comparison to the white glistening light that she was familiar with. She felt detached from them as they no longer contained their magical abilities of granting wishes and revealing the truth in men's hearts.

Maria's eyes trailed up from the pearls to the leather-clad young De Noir heir as he moved to assist Digweed who was struggling to carry a rather large quantity of wood for the hearth. Robin knelt in front of the fireplace and carefully situated a log into the fire. She winced at the sight of the scar on the back of his hand, the scar she had put their when she had first arrived in Moonacre. Picking up the fire iron, he poked around in the ember, stirring them up. Admiring the flickering orange glow that danced across his features and seemed to darken the coal that was always smudged under his eyes, she wondered what had granted him the ability to see the white horse and what magic did he possess to trade the Moon Pearls magic for her life.

 She pondered what this all meant for the curse. When they had returned home the night of the 5000th moon, the manor seemed almost alive and renewed as opposed to how it almost felt sick when she had first arrived. The stone banisters that outlined the porch that wrapped around the manor that had been crumbled away or completely missing had repaired themselves. The vegetation around the manor brightened and other things that had been in disrepair had seemed to be fixed. It had been a similar case in the De Noir's territory, she had noticed upon their last visit.

However, her eyes trailed the outline of the fireplace, noting every crack. Several walls around the manor were in the same condition and seemed to weigh on her conscience more with each passing day. Perhaps she was overthinking, after-all, the manor had been through generations of her ancestors. A few cracks and crumbling here and there could be expected. Or perhaps her greatest fear was true, that the curse wasn't truly gone. It was times like these that she wished she had a way of knowing more about the curse than just what was in Papa's book. 

The sound of pounding hooves brought her attention to the door. Coeur De Noir appeared at the top of the stairs, clutching a cloth wrapped parcel. Her uncle and Loveday returned to the foyer from Benjamin's office, The Chronicles of Moonacre Valley in hand.

Maria carefully picked up the leather pouch and poured the pearls inside. Coeur De Noir pulled back the wrapping to reveal the pearl casket. He flipped the lid open as the lock had been busted many years ago by his ancestor who had stolen it. Inside laid the key that Maria had previously brought the De Noir's in the fall in an attempt to retrieve the pearls. Maria laid the pouch inside the casket and took it from Coeur De Noir with a soft word of thanks. 

"Oh! My! Maria!" Miss Heliotrope squawked as she raced down the steps, "Do be careful, child. The forest. I mean. Oh heavens!"

"Never fear, Madam!" Marmaduke Scarlet appeared, "The little princess is being escorted by the best-of-the best when it comes to the forest."

"Maria." Loveday whispered as she approached and held the girl's hand, "Hide them away where no one will ever find them."

With a nod, Maria turned to Robin, "Are we ready?"

With the pearl casket in one hand, Maria led the way down the stairs as Robin followed. Sir Benjamin wrapped an arm around Loveday, bringing her closer to his chest as he gave a heavy sigh as he watched his niece and the De Noir heir disappeared through the back garden and through the tree line as they entered the forest. Loveday held a worried look across her face as Benjamin placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Whatever could be the matter my dear?" Benjamin asked softly.

"Where I failed, she succeeded. Yet I fear we aren't finished yet." Loveday worried

"The pearls are taken care of. Maria succeeded in lifting the curse." Benjamin explained, "You and I are reuniting the families, together. What more could there be?"

"But it takes a true Moon Princess to return the pearls and reunite the families." Marmaduke explained.

"Tell me, Benjamin." Loveday spoke, turning to look in his eyes, "Tell me. Could you honestly ever forgive the De Noir's for all they've done? Forgive my ancestors. My father. Or does the Merryweather pride still run as deep as it did thirteen years ago when I ran from this place?"

Caught off guard, Benjamin began, "My darling, Loveday, I love you, De Noir or not, and we are to be married. I wish to put my stubborn pride aside to make you happy."

"Yes, but I am not a true Moon Princess. I failed in my duties many years ago." Loveday said, "Could you forgive my father? Taking him as your own father? As kin? Loving him dearly as I do? Not that many moons ago you were both at arms, ready to strike the other down out of anger and pride. I believe you and I both know that our union isn't the one that will bring the peace and prosperity to Moonacre that had been prophesied about."

"If I may be so bold, Sir." Marmaduke Scarlet suggested, Perhaps another union is in-order. One without matters of pride and spite for ancestors standing in the way."

"Robin." Coeur De Noir spoke looking to Benjamin.

"Maria." Benjamin breathed as he looked down at his bride-to-be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! I appreciate it

Please comment, vote, and Share!