What the Water Gave Us

The first rays of dawn had just broken above the horizon, skittering across the surface of the water. Robin's back was stiff from the awkward sitting position he had fallen asleep in, but he was fully aware of the tight grasp Maria's sleeping form had on his arm and hand as she was slumped against him.

As his eyes trailed to the edge of the cliff he was left in utter disbelief. The White Horse of the Sea pranced along the water and waves, the whisper of its whinny echoing in his ears as it mixed with the lapping of the waves against the rocks and shore below.

"You see her too?" Maria whispered, eyes full of awe and wonder.

Swallowing thickly, Robin nodded and turned his attention back to the White Horse. His head snapped up as Maria was harshly pulled from his arms. He'd been so enraptured that he hadn't seen or heard Ira's goons stirring.

Reaching for his dagger on his side, his hand came up empty. As his head came back around, he was met at knife point. The man used the blade to lift Robin's chin, forcing his gaze upon the man he most despised.

"Now you wouldn't want to do that, now would you, Robin?" Ira smirked, "After all, we have a full day ahead of us. Let's not waste a life here."

--------------------------

Henry stumbled over his feet as two of the guards attempted to help him to De Noir castle. The dinning hall hushed as they came in, nearly tumbling down the wooden staircase. Coeur De Noir stood from the table as one of the guards fell to his knees, causing them to drop Henry to the floor.

"What is the meaning of this?" Coeur De Noir roared

"He came to the gates this way, Sir." One guard spitted out, "Said it was urgent to speak to you."

"Maria... Robin..." Henry whispered through a feverish fit

"He doesn't look so well." The other guard piped in.

Coeur De Noir knelt down beside Henry, lifting the boy up slightly and offering him a drink from his chalice. Henry sputtered at the strong tasting wine but managed it and cleared his throat.

"The Fra Mauro took her." Henry spoke against his pounding head, "I couldn't stop them. They were there."

Loveday gasps, clasping a hand over her mouth as Coeur De Noir asked, "Where?"

"The spire. They took her. I couldn't stop them for Robin." Henry choked back a sob.

"Dulac! Prepare the horses and the hunting parties! Maids! See to it that this boy is taken care of!" Coeur De Noir stood

"I'm going with you." Benjamin spoke firmly and Coeur De Noir nodded

-------------------------

The rocks that lined the shore were jagged and slippery, making it difficult for Maria to maintain her balance while being forced ahead by the cloaked man behind her. As another wave crashed in, spraying them with an ocean mist, her boot slipped again. Robin grabbed her hand and elbow, assisting her up as he called ahead to Ira.

"Ira! This is ridiculous! Someone's going to get hurt!" Robin tried, "At least let us slow down for Maria!"

"We keep moving forward!" Ira called over his shoulder

The cloaked man pushed Maria forward, continuing them on. The rocks edged further and further out towards the water and became smoother, giving way to the man made structures carved into the stone. An old set of stairs led down into the dark water, overgrown with vegetation and jagged in places where the water had broken bits of stone away. Ira eased himself towards the water as it lapped at the stairs. Turning, he looked at his cloaked men.

"Today, we retrieve the Moon Pearls and fulfill our true power potential." Ira spoke as the men chuckled, "And you're going to be the one who does it for us, Princess." Ira spoke vilely.

"I won't." Maria spit back, "You've already retrieved some of them, what use to you am I?"

"Retrieved, not so much. Happened upon, yes." Ira explained, "My exile from the filthy De Noir's home left me with nothing, until my true followers began to join me. We stole food and supplies to keep us fed and warm, but that was merely surviving. It wasn't until early winter when I had come here to the shorelines in search of better shelter and fresh fish when I found them. While attempting to catch fish, the ice cracked, plummeting me into the frigid waters. But at the bottom, our glimmering hope laid in the sand. I took what I could, but that wicked white horse of the sea attempted to drag me down. But I survived and left victorious and powerful!"

Ira stood in front of Maria, "So you see, why should I risk any of my devoted followers' lives when mother nature wouldn't lay a hand on her precious Moon Princess." Ira tucked a piece of hair behind Maria's ear, "Or so you'd better hope."

"I won't help you." Maria glared, biting back with venom in her tone

"Perhaps an incentive is needed." Ira growled

Giving the command with a flick of his wrist, three men of Fra Mauro were on Robin. He was on his knees as two of the men held him there while the third pulled Robin's head back, placing his blade of his dagger against the you De Noir's throat. The pained struggling ceased as Maria cried out for them to stop. Only Robin's ragged breaths could be heard above the waves.

Maria's heart beat out of her chest as her eyes were zoned in on Robin and Robin alone. Ira's spindly fingers wrapped around her chin, pulling her to look at him. His threat against Robin's life sunk heavily into her heart as he took a step back, allowing her a clear path to the stairs.

Robin's heart dropped as Maria stepped down the staircase. The water angrily lapped at her boots with every step she took. As she came to the last step, she looked back at Robin. He felt the sick knot in his stomach and throat as his mind was brought back to the night of the 5,000th moon. As she disappeared under the black water, the only words his heart could thump blasted in his ears on repeat.

She's gone...

She's gone...

Maria...I love you...

She's gone...

Please come back...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! Please continue reading and checking back as I appreciate it!

Please vote, comment, and share!