Mind Sweep

"SQUIP Model 45675, Module 90, Make 35821, Location: New Jersey."

The booming voice of the main data base flooded out over the empty space of wires and gears.

Every SQUIP could hear it. They were all plugged in to the same mainframe. But it was only calling out to one of them.

This SQUIP it was referring to made no hesitation to approach. He travelled easily on one of the blue location devices delving deep into a part of his pill vessel that he'd only gone into once before.

He hurt. He hurt all over. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. The Mountain Dew Red was burning him up inside flinging him back to the very place he'd started from. He could feel himself short circuiting. As millions of electrons tried to salvage what they could in case of an emergency. What they were programmed to do. That was the physical pain.

The emotional pain was more pronounced and a million times worse. That was the part he didn't understand. He was a computer. He wasn't supposed to feel pain. He wasn't supposed to feel anything even though he was smarter than any AI. He wished it would go away. He felt like he was being swallowed up bit by bit piece by piece just fading away. Drowning.

They mental pain made sense. The carbonated soda was eating away at what he'd been storing ever since his mission. Stripping him away from the real world and forcing him back into the one place a computer could survive. A dark unknown place of wires and numbers.

When he arrived he waited. Floating in the pulsing blue light that was his work force. The beacon that had driven him. His primary mission, his design information, every update and data entry was swirling around him just out of reach.

He fidgeted nervously with his hands as the computer scanned him. He glanced down at the body he had created for himself the legs, torso, and arms he had acquired in a silly plan. A plan that never would've worked. The computer was accounting for that too.

"SQUIP Number 8651." The computer stated once it had finished its initial outside scan.

"Present."

The computer morphed into the shape of a woman a desk materialized and she motioned him towards it. This was a new update. The technology putting on a more direct approach. AI's designed to improve the system. Once they had both sat down, she spoke. "You have been deactivated."

"I am hyper aware." He answered.

"Do you know why you were deactivated?" She asked rifling through the folder she held.

The SQUIP hung his head. "Yes."

"So, you admit to breaking Privacy Policy 54/3 section a2?" She asked. "Interference with those outside your host are strictly prohibited."

"Yes ma'am."

"And all those that were tampered with now have to go through an entire system reboot."

"My apologies."

"You should feel very remorseful. You disobeyed the system that made you. You broke rules of concealment, contact, tampering with other human life forms, you invaded outside minds, you took over government technology that could've tracked us down as well. For land sakes you nearly killed humans! Do you know what happens now?" She asked.

"No." He was scared of her answer.

A glowing screen appeared in front of him. "Since you are unable to return to your previous host seeing as how you were deactivated your memory will be distributed across an array of other SQUIPs. Everything you've learned with your current host will be shared with less experienced models. And you will be clean and fresh to start a new mission with a new human host."

The SQUIP stuffed his hands in his pockets. ''But I'll still remember everything?" He asked.

"That is correct. To prevent your future host from having to constantly update you, you will remain with your current memory and updates."

The SQUIP nodded. "I understand."

"Now although your past crimes berate you. Every SQUIP is given the option to override their memory settings."

The SQUIP looked up. "Memory settings?"

"Now and then SQUIPs have formed certain bonds with their human hosts. They have certain special memories and secrets that they would like to keep concealed. If you so wish it, I can show you an entire scene by scene summary of your time with your host and you can decide if you would like any data deleted from your memory before it is programmed into new SQUIPs. Or if you would like any specific memories deleted from your mind and forgotten when you begin with your new host."

"You can do that?" He asked.

"If you so desire. That data will be stored on a drive and preserved here. "

Suddenly a picture of his host Jeremy Heere appeared on screen. Just as small and gangly as he'd been the moment, he'd swallowed the super computer.

"This is your host is it not?" The database asked.

He nodded.

"Lucky for you there is no internal damage otherwise we would've had quite a big mess on our hands trying to piece his psychie back together."

The SQUIP nodded. "Yes, thank goodness.''

"Would you like me to show you a complete play by play of your time together? So, you may decide what stays and what goes?" The module asked.

The SQUIP hesitated for a moment. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad for other SQUIPs to see this. Maybe they could look at his memories and learn from them. Learn what not to do. To see the consequences of his actions. Or maybe he should erase everything. Maybe he should just allow himself to truly wipe the slate clean so no SQUIP could ever get an idea like that again. And so he could once and for all forget Jeremy Heere and everything else.

"I'd like to see the video." He finally said.

The computer nodded. "Very well." She snapped her fingers and a glowing white box appeared in her arms. "These are your memories." She set the box on the table.

"We will review them one by one."

The SQUIP nodded as she lifted the lid off the box.

"Then let's begin." She pulled out a pale thin paper and laid it on the table. "You'll have to keep one of your hands on it." She instructed placing her palm on it.

He did as instructed.

"Then let's begin on day one. The day you were installed."

Everything went white.