Play Rehearsal

"Is this really gonna work?" Jeremy asked his SQUIP as he stood outside the drama room.

"Trust me I've done all the necessary research. Just go in and volunteer to be a stage hand."

"Jeremy are we doing this or what?" Michael had already opened the door and was waiting for him to follow.

Jeremy took the biggest breath of his life before nodding. "Y.. Yeah." He followed Michael inside. The room was thankfully not packed full of people. There were about 15 students in all just milling around talking and thankfully Jeremy didn't know any of them.

"Ok Jeremy this is your scene what do we do?" Michael nervously whispered to him as they slunk across the wall.

"You go to the front of the room." The SQUIP whispered.

"We go to the front of the room!" Jeremy repeated.

"And sign up."

"And sign up!" He finished before squaring his shoulders and heading to the table where Mr. Reyes the drama teacher sat. He was holding a folder in his hands and was packing papers into it when Jeremy approached and looked up at him with a wide smile.

"Ah more budding Thespians!" He cooed. "Thank you for joining us. If you'll just write your names on this piece of paper." He slid one across the table.

Jeremy eyed the names of people who wanted to be in the play and shook his head. "Um actually Mr. Reyes we were hoping we could help backstage."

This earned him a bigger smile and a sigh of relief. "Thank God. No one else wanted their spotlight stolen from them so I'm happy you stepped up." He picked up another list this one was bare and handed it to them. They quickly signed their names and handed it back.

"Excellent!" He praised. "Thank you both so much!"

Out of the corner of his eye Jeremy spotted Christine standing off by herself. Michael followed his gaze and smirked. "Ah so there was an ulterior motive for us coming here today."

"What?" Jeremey shook his head. "No, it's not like I could go over there and talk to her."

"Or you could stop being the creep in the corner and do just that." Michael nudged him with his shoulder. "Come on man just have a conversation. Tell her hi and that you're going to be working with her and all that blah blah blah."

Jeremy bit his lip. He was never good at this sort of thing; he'd never been able to form a coherent sentence around Christine in the entire time that he'd known her. In fact, he barely knew her.

"Your nerdy friend here is right. You'll never get anywhere with a girl by simply admiring her from afar."

Jeremy chose to ignore this and squared his shoulders. "Alright I can do this." He set off with what he hoped was a confident swagger across the room. Michael was soon to follow.

"Stop walking like that, you look like you broke your spine."

Jeremy huffed dropped the swagger. Each step taking him closer to Christine and making his heart pound faster and faster.

"You sound like a hummingbird. Breath Jeremy."

Now he was in front of Christine she noticed him and looked away from Jake who she had been talking to.

"H-Hey Chri-Christine." He offered a small wave.

"Don't stutter."

"Oh hey!" Her voice is bright and bubbly. "Do I know you?"