A Guy That I'd Kinda Be Into

"You are incredibly sure that this is going to work?"

"The data supports us. Yes, this is going to work."

The SQUIP convinced Jeremy to sneak out of 7th period early to be the first one to meet Christine for practice before everyone else got there. Since she was always the first to arrive.

"2 minutes until the bell. Are you ready?"

He bounced on the balls of his feet. "So ready."

"Stop bouncing."

He immediately stops. He meant it last night when he said he would listen to what the SQUIP has to say.

Suddenly the bell rings startling Jeremy who quickly gains control of himself. He lets everyone leave before he opens the door. Mr. Reyes looks up from the papers on his desk and smiles.

"Hello Jeremy."

"Hey Mr. Reyes."

He reaches into the drawer in his desk and pulls out a hot pocket. "You don't mind waiting her for a few minutes while I go heat this up do you?"

Jeremy shakes his head. "Go ahead."

He smiles gratefully. "Thank you." Then he is gone.

The door opens moments later and Christine enters the room.

"Don't embarrass yourself."

"Jeremy hi!" As always, her voice is bright.

"Hey Christine." He manages to not stutter.

"Nice."

She goes to sit on the stage and Jeremy is quick to sit beside her. "So, what's going on?"

"Oh, nothing much. Just the usual. What about you?"

"Same goes."

"Don't let the flame die out."

"Anything big happening?"

"Nope."

"Pathetic."

"Any new guys in your life?"

"Why would you just jump into it? Abort. I repeat abort. You are entering uncharted territory."

"Sorry that seems like such a basic question."

This causes Christine to blush. "Oh well. There's this one guy."

She pauses. "But you don't want to hear about that."

He nods his head. "No, I do! You can tell me."

She tucks some hair behind her ear and twiddles her fingers.

"Well say there's this person you pass in the hall every day." She glances over at Jeremy. "You've known him since 7th grade."

Jeremy nods.

"You're used to thinking about him in a certain way. From the persona that he displayed."

She suddenly hops off the stage and stands. "But then something changes." She can't look at him now. "And then he changes."

"What should I say?"

"I'm unsure. Let me run some cognitive tests."

"From a guy that I'd never be into, into a guy that I'd kinda be into. From a guy that I'd never be into, into a guy that I'd kinda be into."

She spins around and places a hand on either side of his knees and leans in close to his face causing him to blush.

"Is he worth it? Jeremy, is he?"

Suddenly a thought hits Jeremy.

"Is she talking about me?"

"Of course, she is. I've been activating your pheromones. Keep it up."

"Tell me more." He prompts.

"Really?"

He nods. "Yeah he sounds amazing."

"Well in that case. Say there's this person that you never knew that well."

"She is totally into you."

"You thought that you had him pegged but now you can tell he's gone from a guy that you'd never be into, into a guy that you'd kinda be into."

She turns to him her hands clasped. "But is he worth it? Jeremy,"

"Absolutely." He confirms.

She finally sits down again and her tone is more somber. "I don't always relate to other people my age. Except when I'm on the stage. There are so many changes that I'm going through." She pauses and looks at him. "And why am I telling this to you?"

This scares him at first because things have been going so well and he doesn't want her to start ignoring him.

"Be confident."

He shrugs. "Guess there's a part of you that wants to."

She smiles. "Who knew I guess a part of me likes to sit with you."

The door opens and the first students start to trickle in and she stops and smooths her skirt. "Back to play rehearsal I know that it's weird. But it's totally true. The guy that I'd kinda be into."

"That guy that you'd kinda be into?"

"Yeah that guy that I'd kinda be into is- "

The door opens and Jake enters.

She smiles and waves at him. "Jake."

"Jake?"

"Jake. Oh shit."

"You're making my brain hurt."

The SQUIP paces quickly in Jeremy's room with his face in his hands. "But I'm a failure."

Jeremy sighs. "You are not a failure."

"Failure is a lack of success or the action or state of not functioning. I have had a lack of success in making this girl like you which means I am not functioning correctly. I am a failure."

"So, you failed one time." Jeremy stood from where he had been sitting on his bed doing his homework. "That doesn't make you a failure. You just know that the things you've been trying so far aren't working and you need to try something else."

The SQUIP pauses it's pacing and glares at Jeremy. "Are you being sarcastic?"

"You're in my head. You should know I'm being sincere."

The SQUIP throws itself onto Jeremy's desk chair. Not an easy feat for a hologram and sighs. "Maybe there's something wrong with my programming. If I'm not able to fix your problems maybe I'm defective."

Jeremy is quick to deter this. "Or maybe things are just more complicated then you originally thought. People aren't black and white. Especially teenagers, we're all over the place. Maybe you just need to do more research and collect more data."

The SQUIP cracks one eye open. "You were paying attention before. But your cheeriness isn't helping Jeremy."

"Aw come on your better than this. I thought you were supposed to know everything anyway smart guy." Suddenly he gasps. "Am I smarter than you?"

The SQUIP sits up stick straight. "I'm a super computer Jeremy. That is a vast impossibility." It faces the computer and turns it on. "I just need more information and a broader understanding of the teenage mind. What does Christine see in that oaf?"

Jeremy smiles happy that his mind is finally in a placid state as he opens up his math analysis homework. "Hey how are you with math homework.

The SQUIP scoffs. "Again, I'm a super computer Jeremy. I'm made of math."