Chapter Eleven (Part 2)

From that moment onwards, intense anxiety floods my mind. The tour is finished within the next fifteen minutes or so, but I'm not paying much attention because I'm running over what to say to Ava in my head. I don't stop throughout the whole journey home, and even when the society's president starts berating Jamie and me over whether or not we're converted believers, all I can think about is what to tell Ava.

Do I tell her about my parents? Is that relevant? Do I just keep it simple and say I can see spirits? Should I mention Annabel? Do I give a full explanation, or just say I can see them and wait for the questions? How can I announce this to her without sounding like I'm taking the piss, or sounding downright crazy?

It's gone nine o' clock by the time we get home, and I must have been quieter than I thought on the bus because Carmen asks me if everything is okay. I shrug it off, and head straight into my bedroom. I pace back and forth. What should I say?

"What's up with you?" Annabel asks now that we're alone. She's taken her usual spot on my bed.

"I'm gonna tell Ava," I mutter absentmindedly.

"Seriously?" Annabel gasps. "Holy--Finally!"

I'd usually tell her to shut up, but don't have the energy. "What should I say? I don't know if I should just flat-out tell her everything, or just say the basics and answer her questions, or--"

"Whoa, relax for a second," Annabel cuts me off. "Listen, stop stressing. No matter how you do it, you'll get the same outcome, so just do what you feel most comfortable doing."

She has a point. It's just that other than the foster mother who kicked me out because of it, I've never uttered a word about what I can do to anyone. It's goddamn scary. I'm still not even certain Ava is genuine, but I don't think I'll ever stop doubting her until I confront her about it.

I turn to Annabel and nod slowly, then swiftly leave my room before I can stop myself chickening out. Annabel follows. I knock on Ava's door. I don't get a response immediately, and consider knocking again, but a voice calls from the other side as I'm about to lift my arm to knock for the second time.

"Come in!" Ava calls.

Here goes nothing. I take a deep breath and push the door open, but freeze within two seconds of being in the room. Ava sits cross-legged on her bed, while Carmen sits opposite her. Ah, shit. I can hardly reveal my mutant abilities while Carmen's here. I sort of just stand in Ava's doorway and stare silently as the door shuts behind me.

"Yes?" It's Carmen who asks.

"Uh, oh, sorry," I mumble. What do I say? "I'm just bored."

Really, Felix? Really? That's your genius response? Annabel, who's followed me into the room, laughs at my idiocy. If Ava and Carmen weren't here, I'd shoot her the dirtiest look. The girls are facing each other on the bed, and Ava is dangling her hands in the space between them, with her fingers spread out. There's a pungent chemical smell circling the room. What the heck are they doing? Dabbling in a crystal meth business venture?

"Join us," Ava eventually responds as she nods at her desk chair. "The more the merrier."

For the sake of awkwardness, I do as she says, and sit myself down onto the chair. Carmen shoots Ava a look I can't figure out as I wheel it nearer to the girls, and what they're doing finally clicks. Carmen has a small bottle in her hand, with a liquid that matches the colour of Ava's nails. Oh god, what have I gotten myself into?

As I take in Ava's impeccably clean room, which is a far cry from my own, I realise there are flowers. Everywhere. The layout of the room is an exact copy of mine, only mirrored, and in every empty space there are flowers. Some are in vases, while others sit alone on the windowsill and desktop. There's a slight hint of a floral smell emanating from them, and if it wasn't for the overwhelming chemical stench, I've got a feeling they would smell a lot stronger.