Chapter Twenty-Six (Part 2)

"I was hoping you'd return," the spirit continues with a soft voice. "Our run in with that horrid creature intrigued me deeply, and I must say I have been concerned for you."

"Felix? What's going on? What is she saying?" Ava unknowingly interrupts.

The female spirit smiles again, then nods at me as if to give me permission to return to earth and interact with the flesh and blood in the room.

"Oh, hey!" Annabel suddenly appears beside the woman. "We've got heaps of questions."

"Annie, you're meant to be keeping watch!" I snap before turning to Ava. "Sorry, one second."

"The kid's guarding, it's fine," Annabel reassures me with a wave of her hand, and I quickly scan the room to notice Robert's gone. Annabel turns back to the female spirit. "Long story short, I need to remember my life, especially the leading up to death part of it. Thing is, it needs to be fast. We're dealing with pretty tight time limit."

"You're in danger?" the spirit asks it as a question, but it sounds more like a statement.

"I'm bored, can I have a look outside?" Tom interjects from the bed.

As Annabel relays the Oujia board catastrophe to the spirit, she wanders over to Ava and places a hand on her shoulder. Ava's eyes are shut, and hers and the spirit's thin lips are curved upwards slightly, and it's all just looking a tad bit too cult-like for my liking.

Annabel's still telling the story, despite the fact the spirit's clearly occupied with something else right now, and Tom's still asking for permission to move. With Ava sitting crossed legged on the carpet looking somewhat possessed, and me just generally flapping around the place, I don't think Carmen and Jamie know where to look.

"Do you know spirit talkers who may have known, or had contact with... Sorry dear, I can't recall your name," the female spirit says, suddenly removing her hand from Ava's shoulder. Her eyes land on me.

"Felix," I fill in.

The spirit tilts her head slight. "Your parents named you that?" she asks, to which I nod. "Strange. My name's Clara Arlington. My husband and I once owned this house, hence my being here. Anyhow, yes, do you have any contact with, or know of any spirit talkers who would've known your family before they passed?"

I guess she was listening to Annabel, after all. I go to open my mouth, but Ava beats me to it. "I know others, I--Well, one family who did. They're a little... tricky to deal with, though."

Oh, sweet, Ava's joined the party. That must've been what the satanic ritual was for.

"She can hear you now?" Annabel butts in, going completely off topic. "How do I do that? I want to speak to other people." I don't think she means for it to, but it comes off as desperate.

Clara chuckles slightly, then shakes her head. "Guides can't generally communicate with the living beyond their human, least not unless in the direst of situations."

"What do you--Oh, no. No, I'm not his--I'm his sister, sorry, I thought I mentioned that."

"I am aware. You're also his guide."

I laugh. I actually laugh out loud. Piss off is Annabel my spirit guide. I might as well strap a neon sign to my chest that reads Hi, my name is Felix Reynolds, and you want to kill me if she's the one in charge of ensuring I don't kick the bucket.

"Sorry," I quickly apologise as I notice the perplexed look on Clara's face. Well, everyone's, for that matter. "I just--I don't think she is. I mean, Annabel's not really the spirit guide type... She was still alive when I was born, so it's not even possible, right?"