Chapter 14: Warring Legend Mew

“TWO DAYS?!!!” Pikablu shouted when he heard the news. Both Nurse Joy and Syoran jumped at his outburst. I just sighed and tried to ignore him. He was very loud.

“Oh, and make sure he doesn’t overexert himself,” Nurse Joy added with an amused chuckle, “He seems to have a bit of a temper.”

“Yes ma’am,” Syoran said, “Now…you said you had a message for me?”

Nurse Joy smiled and handed him a sealed envelope. Syoran accepted it and tore it open. Inside was a piece of paper. Syoran stared at it for several minutes and suddenly burst out laughing. He looked up and noticed me looking at him with a confused expression.

“It’s a letter, Spirit, from Ethan,” he explained, “He says they caught Petrel when he was trying to sneak out of a city by disguising himself as a girl. He sent a picture.” He held out a blurry shot of Petrel handcuffed between two burly policemen, looking very distraught in a long dress. I grinned widely and chuckled. I couldn’t help myself. It was pretty darn funny.

“Now, about the Pikachu…” Nurse Joy began.

“PIKA-BLU!!!” the mouse corrected.

Nurse Joy didn’t even bat an eye and continued. “…he is the one from the news, right?”

“I think so…” Syoran replied, frowning.

“Alright…” She tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Well, let’s keep him with you for now… When he heals…” She sighed. “I have a lot to think about. Just take him to your room for now and make him comfortable, but don’t lose him. I…I better get back to my desk.” She exited the room rather quickly. I watched her go suspiciously.

Syoran sighed and picked up Pikablu. “Come on, everyone. Let’s go see what Psi and Z are up to.” Nine, Rio, and I stood and followed him back to our rented room.

“Two whole days…” Pikablu grumbled. He winced and clutched his side, where some nasty bruises were forming. “Ow…”

“You wouldn’t make it far anyway,” Rio muttered as Syoran opened the door, “Not in the shape you’re in.”

“No! You don’t understand! I have to tell Heat…” He was once again cut off by the sudden pain in his chest. He gasped and clutched at it. “I should really use a more conversational tone of voice,” he said softly, “It would be less painful.”

As we entered the room, I heard something that made me cringe. A perfectly annoying, high-pitched squeal of delight assaulted my ears. I looked around sharply for the source and saw Psi sitting on Syoran’s head, running his mouth at Pikablu.

“It’s you! You’re here! Can I have your paw-print?” he asked, “What’s it like travelling with Ash? Where is he, by the way?”