Chapter 29: Ticked Off Pikablu

“Ah, if it isn’t my…indomitable guests…” Giratina hissed.

“Sup?” Syoran said weakly.

“Indeed…” Giratina replied with a distinct growl, “I regret to inform you that your usefulness to me has expired. And since you have been such little pests, I will have to kill you for your unmitigated temerity.”

“Gesundheit?” Pikablu said, a bit confused by the big words. Seriously, it’s like that dragon was just trying to show off his vocabulary or something.

The shadowy arms sprouting from Giratina’s back writhed in annoyance, wrapping tighter around his two prisoners. “Whoa!” Mew yelled, a green tint appearing under his pink fur, “Hey! Roller coasters make me…” His cheeks swelled suddenly and he threw up right on Giratina’s forehead. The Lord of the Dead stiffened and slowly brought Mew around to glare at him.

“Sorry…” Mew said meekly. Giratina roared right in his face, causing him to flinch back in disgust. “Ewww….what do you eat?”

“Original…” Mewtwo said warningly.

“I’ve had enough of your folly!” Giratina bellowed, “Be silent now!” He tightened his grip on them slightly, causing them both to squirm and cry out.

“Mew!” Pikablu screamed in horror. Giratina turned, smiling smugly at him.

“Now…” he hissed, “You die!”

“Daddy?”

“Yes son?”

“What’s death?”

“Um…where did that question come from?”

“I heard Mr. Seacrest say it…you know, the Marill? He said he had…a brush with death or something like that…he seemed frightened too, so I asked him what was wrong and that’s what he told me.”

“Oh…I see…well son, death is like…when someone’s soul leaves their body. Their body stops living and they move on to another place and each person is rewarded according to his or her actions. That is why we follow the commands of Arceus, as best we can, so that when we die, we won’t have to worry about what our reward will be. We will already know.”

“…what’s a soul? Isn’t that my name?”

“Yes, yes it is. But your soul is what makes you the person you are. Well, half the person you are. Certain elements of you are in your body as well. But your soul is the eternal part of you. The part that doesn’t die.”