Chapter 16: Renegade Legend Giratina

“Charon! You let the Lucario escape again!”

“Forgive me, Lady Hecate. I will catch him again.”

“LET ME GO! HEY! PUT ME DOWN! OW!”

“Silence, Lucario. Or I shall hurt more than just your arm.”

“Let him go, Dusknior!”

“Oh? A human thinks to command me now?”

I did not want to wake up. I did not want to rise. I wanted to stay where I had fallen. Opening my eyes would be admitting that this nightmare, unlike the earlier one, was real. After a brief fall through the dark hole Hecate had created, I had landed on my head and blacked out for a few minutes. From the sounds of things, those few minutes hadn’t gone so well for our team. And I had a headache to boot.

Something nudged my side. “Hey! Absol! You alive or can I eat you?” I cracked one eye open and saw Wraith’s red eyes and obnoxiously large grin. I made no other movement other than to swallow the saliva that had pooled in my mouth so it didn’t become drool. That would not have helped my situation (or my image) any. “Aw, you’re still alive. Eh, you’ll probably die soon. I’ll just have to eat something else to tide me over. Welcome to the Reverse World, by the way. Land of the Dead and all that good stuff.” He gave me a swift kick to the side, eliciting a gasp and maybe, just maybe, a whimper. “Get up. Hecate wants you all marching pronto.”

I saw Syoran come up behind him, fists clenched in anger and eyes flaming with it. “Stop doing that to Spirit, Gengar,” he said, voice betraying a murderous level of anger. Wraith turned, grin spreading even wider than before.

“Doing what?” Wraith asked, “This?” His fist slammed into my stomach, driving the breath from my lungs and a good bit of blood with it. “Or this?” He clubbed me over the head, making stars dance before my eyes. Great, now my headache was ten times worse. Syoran’s fists clenched tighter and he lunged for the ghost type, much to Wraith’s amusement. He was even more amused when Syoran passed right through him. “HAHAHAHAHA! STOP! THAT TICKLES!”

Syoran was flattened by a blow from Charon and he sprawled next to me. “Get up,” the genie ordered. I rose with a sigh and took stock of our situation. Rio had both his fore-paws trapped in Charon’s right hand and the ghost was using his left to menace anyone in striking distance. Nine was wrapped in purple, glowing chains and muttering about talking ice-cream cones using Ice-Beam, which led me to believe one of the ghosts had used Confuse Ray on her before trapping her. Z was warily watching Reaper, whose scythe was suspended in the air above their heads, and was gauging whether he could get out of the way before he got sliced in half. Pikablu was still out of it. Lady Glacier was on a leash, which Hecate held, and looked none too happy about it. In short, we were screwed. So very screwed.

“Don’t try to fight, Absol,” Wraith advised, leering, “Although, I don’t mind if you do. I haven’t beat someone senseless since yesterday.” I gave him a look of contempt and rolled onto my stomach. I hissed in pain when my headache flared up and clutched at my head, pressing on it to dull the lances of fire that ran up and down my skull. It helped, a little.