Chapter 33: Unfortunate Trainer Chase

Chapter 33:Unfortunate Trainer Chase

I didn’t rest well that night. The blissful state of peace I had been enjoying was gone. I restlessly tossed and turned, mind running a million miles an hour. I had to warn them. I couldn’t just let them live near me and not know that for two minutes and seventeen seconds I’d turn into a psychopathic killer. But…what would they respond with? Fear? Disgust that I had sold out? They couldn’t hate me for it, could they? Rio would be dead if I hadn’t. I’d be dead if not for Rio and therefore we’d all be dead.

I didn’t really sleep, but when I next came to full awareness everyone was gathered around me, doing various things. Z had found some sort of book, almost as big as he was, and was reading it with an engrossed expression. Psi was sleeping on Syoran’s head. Yes, his head.. Rio was sitting on some of my pillows, back turned to me and forming various shapes with aura. Lady Glacier and Pikablu were alternating between fighting and flirting, not that those things were too different with them. It was more in the tone than the actual words they said. Nine was sitting beside me and my stomach twisted into knots when Darkrai’s threat flashed through my head. How dare he threaten her! If I ever got the chance, I’d tear the dead, flaky skin right off his ugly, white head!

They didn’t realize I was actually awake. So, I got to hear a rather interesting conversation.

“How are you feeling today, Rio?” Nine asked.

“What, me?” he said, breaking out of concentration, “fine, I guess. The real question is, how are you doing?”

“I…have no idea what you are talking about,” Nine replied, not very convincingly either.

“Sure you do!” Rio was certainly eager. “About you and Spirit!”

I suddenly noticed that I had a very good angle at Rio’s backside with the tip of my blade, should I need to attack him.

“Rio,” Nine growled, “If you ask me one more time, then the first thing I am going to do when Syoran replaces our Poke-balls is weld yours shut.”

“Oh. Um, sorry?” Rio offered, shifting away from her slightly. He was a bit stiff, seemingly unable to move his torso very fluidly. Nine apparently noticed this too and her look changed from one of mild anger to that of concern.

“How are they healing?” she asked.

“Fine…” Rio responded, clearly unsure how exactly he was supposed to answer, “I mean, I’m sore and all and there will be scars, but they’ll just give me a few levels in epicness.”

“Right…” Nine was unconvinced.

I piped up. “Scars? What scars?”

They both turned to me sharply. “Spirit!” Rio said happily, “Didn’t realize you were awake!”

“Yeah, well, I am. Now tell me, what scars?” I continued to press. I wouldn’t have been concerned normally, but how could I not be after the harrowing adventure we’d been through together?