Epilogue

Epilogue

And that is the story of how I went from being a cold-hearted loner to the Pokémon I am today. I have a new family now, though I will never forget my parents and siblings. I know I will see them again someday, but that day is hopefully still a good ways in the future.

It’s been about a year and a half since we left the Hall of Origin. In that time, Syoran entered the International Police Academy, bringing us with him, and was put on the fast-track to graduation because of his previous experiences. Now all he has to do is memorize all the procedures and tactics. There is apparently some new crime group in the Kalos region up to no good and the International Police is preparing to move against them. Covertly, of course. If Syoran finishes his training in time, we’ll be part of that group. I’ve seen a bit about Kalos on the computer. Looks like a nice enough place. Definitely a milder climate than tropical Hoenn. My coat will appreciate that.

Nine hasn’t changed much. Still pretty in that rough sort of way. Tried to teach her how to groom her coat properly, but she enjoyed letting me do it so much she didn’t pay much attention. Thanks to her experience of being without her fire for a bit, she has also been working on some of her latent psychic abilities. Not that they affect me whatsoever, so I am, once again, often used as target practice. She makes up for it, though, by keeping me warm when we are sleeping inside. Humans just love their air conditioning turned way down even in the summer, when my coat is thinner. Seriously, people, what are you thinking?

Z has begun learning how to speak the human tongue. After seeing Meowth, that Pokémon Team Rocket had, he apparently began to wonder whether or not he could as well. Syoran can understand us, since that spell hasn’t worn off and at this point seems permanent, but no one else can and Z likes reading all those books anyway. It was just a logical choice.

Rio hasn’t changed much, but it has made a noticeable difference in his personality. The kid is…insane. He has absolutely no fear of anything. Now, that isn’t to say that he goes leaping off buildings. He has what he calls ‘respect’ for the challenges and boundaries he faces. However, facing a giant Hydreigon? No problem. For him. He has complete confidence in himself and his abilities. In other words, he’s matured in that respect. He still is too curious for his own good, laughs awkwardly when put on the spot, and loves each of us like we were his family by blood.

Psi has grown pretty much as tall as he will get so long as he remains an abra. He still refuses to evolve, though, but has perfected the use of a dual Psycho Cut using two pocketknives as the hilt. He says, with much glee, that they are similar to something called lightsabers and keeps them strapped to his waist at all times. Last Halloween, a holiday I have taken a particular liking to, he dressed in a brown robe and called himself ‘Psi-wanna-brownie’, since he has also developed a liking for brownies after Mew visited with a whole tray full of them.

Speaking of Mew, the tiny cat hasn’t started any wars lately. He’s been ‘on vacation’, as he calls it, visiting various people he knows around the world with a small amount of guardians, including Pikablu. He is still hyperactive, loves all sorts of sugar, and is a real pain in the rear sometimes. But we still love him because he is cute. It’s like a get out of jail free card for him.

And yes, I did just admit that something was cute. Sue me.

For his part, Pikablu hasn’t changed all that much either. Headstrong, loud, loves a good fight, and likes to challenge things bigger than himself to prove he is stronger than them. You can tell where he’s been by the trail of knocked out Pokémon and evil Grunts. However, he doesn’t have quite as much energy anymore because he is always chasing twelve, little Eevee kits, who are his children.

Lady Glacier has pretty much given up ruling the slopes of Mt. Coronet, turning it over to her lieutenant in favor of travelling with Pikablu. They are mates now and love to argue, make up, and then start arguing all over again. It’s their favorite pastime. Ironically, they are also two of the happiest Pokémon I know, only slightly less happy than Nine and I. She is also the only one their kits will listen to without some major compulsion first. They seem to have been infected with Mew’s love of peach cobbler and will stop whatever chaos they are causing in order to get some. I can never tell if the male Pokémon who gawk at her are doing so because she is surrounded in a small mob a eevees or because they find her attractive and wonder how she could have so many kits already. Probably a combination of both.

Speaking of kits, Nine and I have two now. A boy and a girl, who we named Soul and Ruby respectively. I learned something about vulpixes too. Apparently, they are only born with one tail and the other five grow quickly after birth. I was worried that they were deformed when I first saw them, but Nine assured me it was normal. I only half-believed her until they both grew five more tails and now have six each.

They are, if I do say so myself, cuter than Mew. I can’t believe they are mine sometimes, but I will do anything to protect them. I suppose that’s what my father felt when I was born way back when. I’m sure that, if he is watching through some inter-dimensional portal, he’d be proud. I am much happier now than I was before. It’s been a long journey from the slopes of Mt. Coronet, but I’ve finally found a place to call home. A place where my wandering soul can finally rest. Not a physical place, but one with my new family. Wherever we are, as long as we are together, there is home.

I suppose this is the point where I say we lived happily ever after. That is not the case. I know we will have challenges to overcome and trials to face. But really, life would be boring without them. But we don’t have anything to fear, not even death itself, for we serve Arceus and have each other. With him watching over us and us watching each other’s backs, evil had better watch out because we are coming for it. And we don’t pull any punches.