Chapter 2: The Arrival

The next day, Khanet got up and got ready for the day, grabbed her weapons and head downstairs to eat breakfast. After she was done eating, she yelled to her father "Dad. I'm going for a walk through the desert." "Alright. Be back before lunchtime and don't get lost." The Pharaoh shouted. "Ok." Khanet shouted back. On her walk, she had to face powerful sandstorms while walking through the desert.

One of the sand tornadoes stopped right in front of her. "Huh? What the...?" She began to ask. When, all of a sudden, the sand tornado disappeared and a god-like figure was standing right in front of her. Khanet suddenly gasped. She then stammered "Anu-b-b-bis? What b-b-brings you here?" Anubis then spoke "Hello mortal. I've seem to have encountered a problem happening in the far desert. I was sent here by Ra."

"What's the problem?" Khanet asked Anubis. "There is an evil version of me that is trying to destroy all of mankind and trying to claim Egypt as his. So I decided to send you on a mission to stop him. Since, I have watched over you from the heavens over the years and you please me very much. Much to my delight, young mortal." Anubis explained.

"Well... I will do whatever it takes to protect my people." Khanet stated. "Good. I hope you don't lack the strength to do so because otherwise, you wouldn't be a true warrior if that is the case." Anubis replied. "And what happens if I fail my mission? Are you going to eat me alive?" Khanet asked. "No. I would not eat you alive. But you would disappoint me. You know, I'm not as scary as I look." Anubis replied. "I need to go back to the palace to get ready for the mission. Do you want to come with, my lord?" Khanet asked. "No. Sorry. I have to go tell Ra that you accepted the mission." Anubis answered. "Ok." Khanet replied. "Anubis. Can I tell my brother about this?" Khanet then asked. "Yes you may." Anubis exclaimed. "But only him and no one else. Not even your parents. Just him." Anubis explained. "Ok." Khanet declared.

"Meet me tomorrow, here, at sunrise. I have something for you." Anubis stated. "Ok. I will." Khanet replied. After that, Anubis was gone. Then, Khanet headed back towards the palace once more. Once she got inside the palace, she noticed that her father wasn't sitting on his throne at the moment. So she looked all over the palace for him. But then, she knew one place she hadn't checked yet. It was...the Pharaoh's room, which was also the Queen's room as well. She entered the room and found her father crying.

"Hey Dad. What's wrong?" Khanet asked her father. He then moved aside to reveal Khanet's mother dead on the floor. "What happened to Mom?" Khanet then asked. "A servant said that she had a terrible illness. They also said that there was a virus that was so bad that it costed her life." The Pharaoh answered sorrowfully. "Oh no." Khanet replied. She then began to cry. Her tears were running down her face so fast that it looked like sweat. Khanis was also crying at his mother's death. "We're going to have to start mummifying her tomorrow." The Pharaoh added.

So that night, when Khanet's father was crying and praying to the gods for help with his wife's death, Khanet got up and packed her bags for the mission. After she was done packing, she then went to tell Khanis about the mission. She went into Khanis's room, where he was sleeping peacefully. Khanet exclaimed "Hey. Khanis. Wake up. I have to tell you something." She then asked "Khanis? Hello? Are you dead?" But he wouldn't wake up. She then groaned loudly. Khanet then shouted "Khanis. Wake up!" She decided to slap him across the face. "OW!!!" Khanis screamed.

Khanis declared "What Khanet? What is so important that it is disrupting my beauty sleep?" "Khanis. I am going on a mission that involves war and I was wondering if you wanted to come with." Khanet explained. "Of course I will come with you. I would love to come with. But...how exactly did you get this mission?" Khanis asked. "On my walk earlier today, I met Anubis and he assigned me the mission." Khanet then explained. "But why?" Khanis asked. "Because he watched over me from the heavens over the years and I pleased him very much." Khanet answered.

"Huh. Well that explains everything." Khanis replied. "Yes it does. So if you're coming with me, you should pack a bag and don't forget to bring your weapons." Khanet replied back. Khanet then added "Oh and one last thing I forgot to mention to you. I forgot to mention that Anubis wanted me to meet him tomorrow at sunrise. So, we need to leave soon." "Ok." Khanis exclaimed. Then, Khanis squealed "I'M GONNA MEET ANUBIS!!! I'M GONNA MEET ANUBIS!!!" Khanet walked into his room and slapped him across the face once more. "OW!!! Is it necessary for you to slap me across the face?" Khanis asked.

"I don't know. Can you please be quiet? Geez! You are so loud. Father is probably sleeping." Khanet replied. "Probably not because I think he's still crying over Mom's death." Khanis replied back. He then began to chuckle. "Ha! Dad is such a wimp." Khanis stated. "No he is not. How would you like it if your wife died?" Khanet asked Khanis. "I probably wouldn't like it. But I'm not married. So, I don't know." Khanis then stated. "Ok then. So stop making fun of Dad. He is probably trying to sleep, so that way, he doesn't have to think about Mother's death." Khanet explained. She then replied "Finish packing your bag and then we will be on our way to the desert, where Anubis will meet us." "Ok." Khanis replied back.

After he was done packing his bag, Khanet and him left the palace, unseen by any of the guards near the entryway of the palace. Once they got to the desert, they sneaked off like a bunch of hungry and aggressive jackals on the hunt. They looked as if they were the jackals of the night. They tried to be as stealthy as possible, so they wouldn't be seen by anyone. Not another living soul. They got farther into the desert as the sun began to rise and they continued on the long trip to the desert.