[CHAPTER SIXTEEN] Masculinity 101

[SORRY FOR ANY ERRORS]

𝐁ROOKLYN, NEW YORK.
NOVEMBER 14th, 1989

"It took Malik to almost die for you to date him?" Ashley asks, while putting a strawberry in her mouth.

"It wasn't even like that..." I say, reaching for one of Ashley's sliced pineapples and putting it into my mouth.

"Girl bye." Ashley says, waving me off with her hands and I let out a chuckle.

"It really wasn't like that. I was gonna date him eventually.. he just asked me sooner." I say and she shoots me a 'yeah ok' look.

"Hey guys!" Aaliyah says, running over to the lunch table Ashley and I were sitting at. She sat down and just smiled.

"Caine gave you some dick or what?" Ashley asks and I laugh.

"Shut up Ash." She says, rolling her eyes.

"I mean you never look this happy, what happened?" I ask.

"I should be asking you that question. You're the one who's dating Malik now." She says and I roll my eyes.

"A'mya Johnson sounds cute on you actually." Ash teases and I feel myself begin to blush.

"Whatever, y'all are annoying as hell." I say looking off to the cafeteria entrance as I notice Nasir walking in.

He looked completely different. I mean, he did look the same but he had a glow.

Maybe he decided to stop selling his drugs and get his life together.

He walked towards the direction of the lunch table Ash, Liyah, and I were sitting at and stood in front. He looked down at me and we made brutal eye contact but then he turned his attention away to look at Aaliyah.

"Here his angry ass go.." Ashley mumbles and Nasir gives her a fake smile.

"Hello to you too Ashley. And I won't be on my regular bullshit, I actually smoked my weed today." He says, and I put my chin in the palm of my hands looking up at him.

"What do you want?" Aaliyah asks.

"I'm actually here for A'mya." He says, pointing at me and I turn my head around to look behind me because he must be talking to another A'mya.

I turn my head back to face him and I furrow my eyebrows.

"You're talking to me?" I ask, pointing at myself.