Chapter 10: The Self-Esteem of A Demon

"Ahhhhh~~~~!" my voice was filled with pleasure as I could finally relax "I know there was a reason I liked this place~"

It has been almost two hours since my battle with the stupid mutt. On the way back Ram and I met up with the villagers that where still looking for us. They did try to come back and help us in the end. Well, too slow boys, we already had everything handled.

And it was a good thing we did too. If they had managed to find Ram before me they would be dead by now. The Wolgarm would have slaughtered them like sheep.

I still remember their dumbfounded pale faces when they saw what kind of beast I was dragging along behind me. Ken looked like he was about to piss himself! They had no idea what lurked in these woods and he was kind of a wimp in the first place.

...

Okay, maybe that's too much. I can't say I would have reacted differently if I was in his place. Heck, I probably wouldn't even have batted an eyelid when I heard of people looking for some missing kids, much less wandered into the mabeast infested forest to look for them.

I guess he is not a complete wimp then, he's actually pretty brave if measured by the standards of our modern age. I only dared fight those beasts head on because I knew I could handle them. Servants are walking armies, capable of devastating even modern battalions. There was no way I had to fear these pumped up mutts, magical steroids or not.

Right now I'm currently in a bath. Or is it a pool? I mean, considering the size of this place... hell! This tub alone can handle more than ten people!

Yeah, definitely a pool.

As much as I hate to admit it, Roswaal is a frighteningly competent magus. Or is it magician? Meh. Everything in this house, from the kitchen to the library, is fueled by mana.

I have no idea how he did it, but the clown managed to somehow conduct the latent magical energy of the atmosphere to power his manor. This was an unbelievable complex achievement, I yearned to learn how he managed something like that. After all, knowledge is power. Still...

I do not like that clown...

He's likely to return by tomorrow morning. After Ram's report he will probably offer me another boon...

The big question is: What should I ask of him?

Asking him to help me return home is a no-no. He has no intention of letting me slip his clutches, so this would only make him more wary. No matter what, in his eyes I was the key to releasing his mistress, Echidna. He was going to take every measure to see her again, be it lie, scam and even threatening me,

If he was an ordinary Magus I could just play his pride, like Kiritsugu demonstrated wonderfully on Kayneth El-Melloi during the fourth Holy Grail war. I did have quite the mouth on me and my knowledge would be of great help in manipulating the clown. But alas, Roswaal is anything but normal. He has lived for over four hundred years boy continuously possessing the bodies of his descendants. He has achieved what many Magus dream of, other than opening a path to the Root of course.

Immortality

Not complete immortality, his bodies still aged and died eventually after all. Without this his mind would have long ago be irrefutably corrupted.

...

Yeah, no. He did have more than a few loose screws inside that head of his. However, his mind had not yet deteriorated enough to be comparable to the likes of Zouken Matou. Perhaps he had also just been mad since the beginning; Echidna did mention he tended to be too "earnest" or something like that.