5 | what would be wrong?

Stephen's Point Of View

The truth was that I was happy.

We were eating out dinner as Pietro and Wong spoke about something animatedly. They had become real good friends. Wanda looked at them with a smile as she ate.
I did not realize as I stared at her, she was smiling but there was much more in her eyes. I could feel it.

"Stephen?", She said slightly shaking me, bringing me out of the trance.
"Oh-oh yes.", I said awkwardly.
"Anything you want to say?", She asked as I looked back towards my plate.

I was lying on my bed, looking blankly at the ceiling. I shut my eyes with a sigh. It was night. Around twelve. I drew in a sharp breath as the sight became clearer.

"Stephen!", She had screamed.
"Christine!", I had said immediately as I had turned towards her. Death and destruction loomed all around. Those aliens with their golden eyes and hair, wearing Greek armours - as it looked and swords with some unknown and mysterious powers.

I ran towards her.
One of those aliens had caught hold of her.
"Surrender!", The alien had ordered.
"No Stephen! You won't! Please!", Christine screamed back.

"Stephen.", I immediately sat up.
Wanda walked into my room.
"Oh-hi. Nice-nice to see you.", I mumbled.
"You're getting too awkward Stephen.. it's okay.", She said almost laughing and sitting opposite to me on the bed.
"Not sleepy?", I asked, trying my best to feel comfortable.
"No. Not really. Pietro is fast asleep and I thought it would be nice to speak to you.", She said looking straight into my eyes.

"I thought you hated me.", I stated truthfully.
She drew in a deep breath.
"I know.", She said edging closer.
"Let me into your mind.", She said.
"You still don't trust me?"
"I do. But I want to know what exactly happened.", She said, looking straight into my eyes, a chill ran down my spine.

I drew in a deep breath.
"Wanda, you'll have to see Vision die."
She smiled softly.
"You see Christine die everyday in your dreams.", She said softly.
I nodded, trying to hide the moisture in my eyes.
"Do it then Wanda. You deserve to know everything.", I said as she edged closer to me and I shut my eyes.

I was back to the same memory.

"Yes. Don't surrender Doctor Strange.", This was Vision who walked out from behind me.
"But-"
"I'll handle this.", Vision said.
I nodded as we moved in front together.
He was using the power of the mind stone and I was using my magic.
I was flying with the help of my cloak as he too elevated himself.
"Attack from behind, Strange.", He whispered. I nodded without much ado as I immediately went behind the alien.

Suddenly I was hit hard behind my head. Before the action could be repeated I immediately turned and started fighting the alien when suddenly there was a loud explosion behind me. I immediately turned as I pushed away the alien.

My eyes clouded with tears.
"Christine!", I screamed.
Loud noises sounded from all sides but it all numbed.
I immediately rushed back to the spot where she had stood a while ago.
She lay dying on the ground.
I immediately rushed and knelt in front of her as I immediately lifted her.
"Don't worry.. you'll be okay..", I whispered as I lifted her off the ground.
"Steph..", she whispered as she pulled my cloak.
"Let me down.", She mouthed as I did as instructed.
She kept on holding my cloak, as if afraid to let go. Tears flowed down my eyes.
"Don't cry....", She whispered.
"It's okay.. I know you'll be.. you'll be fine.", She whispered as I kissed her forehead.
"Stephen..", she whispered as her grip on my cloak released slowly and I knew she was gone. I stayed, crying.

I slowly looked up to find Vision. His body had gone grey.
I slowly stood up and walked down to him.
The mind stone snatched from his forehead.
He was lifeless.
I looked around.
It was nowhere. Most probably this was a purposefully done work.

I knelt in front of him, as I finally broke down.

I suddenly opened my eyes.
I realised that my eyes were full of tears.
Wanda sat, as if paralysed.
Tears flowed down paralysed. She looked down at the floor.
"Wanda.. forgive me..", I whispered as I placed my hand on hers reluctantly.
She looked up at me.
"Stephen..", she whispered as she entangled her fingers with mine.

She edged closer to me.
"There's so much I want to know about you.", It was a whisper.
"Then whose asking you to not know, Wanda."
"I'm afraid.."
"Why?"
"Maybe I'll start liking you.."
"And what would be wrong with that?", I asked, my heart thumping madly in my chest.
Her face stood only inches apart and the tension in the room was high.
She did not answer, her eyes stood fixed on my face.

•••

Don't forget to vote and comment!