3.

*Flashback*
5 years back

5th of October, 2009
I turned thirteen today. Not a big deal because it won't be the same it was 5 years back. When Grandpa was alive. I carefully latch the key necklace around my neck which was gifted to me 5 years back by Grandpa. I was interrupted by my dad yelling and calling me downstairs. I stomped downstairs just to view my parents kissing Lily's ass. Nothing new. She was fucking loaded with presents. I didn't dare wish her Birthday and neither did she. My parents mumbled me a quick 'Happy Birthday' and slapped money on my palm.

As I was about to head to Katies', my Dad stopped me by saying, " Where do you think you are going?" "Katies'" I simply said. " Stay here. We need to cut your sister's cake." my Dad snapped.

I returned to school two days after Grandpa passed away. Katie was the only person who came to console me. She was the only one who understood me. Since then we became Best Friends. She always called me 'Jas'. She always came to me when she had problems and I always found a solution for it. Nowadays, she's been having family problems. That reminded me to call her.

My phone started ringing. It was Katie. I quickly answered it. " I was ju-" I started but she cut me off by saying, " Jas, c-come to m-my p-place as fast a-as p-possible. E-everything is fucked up. I n-need you." I got worried. She stammered only when she cried. As I was about to speak, the call ended.

I turned my heel towards the door and started walking. As I was about to shut the door, my Dad yelled my name. I rolled my eyes and I explained him about Katie's call. He simply said, " Don't make up stories. You are not stepping out of the house."

As they started singing for Lily, my thoughts wandered to Katie. What happened? Will she be alright? Thousands of questions were running through my mind. I just simply ran out of the house - not taking note of my parents' yelling.

I increased my pace as she lived a few blocks away.

As I reached her house, I noticed that the front door was open. I rushed inside to Katie's room.

I went numb viewing the sight in front of me.

Katie was laying on the floor in a pool of blood with a knife in her hand. She slit her throat! Her parents surrounded her - weeping hard. Her mom noticed me and started explaining everything but everything was a blur except for Katie's lifeless body.

She was dead. My Best Friend was dead. I couldn't save my Best Friend. I let her die.

I fell on my knees. Her mom handed me a letter she wrote for me. It read:

Dear Jas,
Sorry for the step I've taken. I promise it wasn't because of you. It's because of my parents. I just found out that my Mom has a Boyfriend and my Dad has another baby with another woman. I feel so unwanted. This world is so cruel. They didn't think even once about me. It feels like I am a pressure on them. But you have helped me since the past 5 years and I am grateful for that. I just couldn't take the sadness and the truth my parents just told me. I'm sorry. But I'll always be beside you. Thank you for everything you've done, Best Friend. Maybe I wasn't worth being your friend. Sorry Jas.
-Katie

I lost my one and only friend. She's dead. She's never coming back.

+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+|+

Hey guys! Yes, these two chapters have been very sad and I promise, the coming chapters won't be like these. This is just to give you a slight idea of why Jasmine doesn't like this date. Hope you like it! Please Vote or Comment if you do. Feel free to drop any feedbacks or recommendations in the Comments. I'll make sure I read all of them. Thank you!

-SJR