Chapter 10

Newt Sangster and Thomas O' Brien

Ampthill Park(above)

 "All due respect Madame but why didn't you choose to help Mr. Sangster with your company?" Thomas wonders. He was curious but still nervous on what Ava will answer.

"I choose to raise a family rather than helping my husband with his company because for me its privilege but for you, you might think of it as old fashioned," Ava explained looking at Thomas in a high-handed way.

"Well hello my favourite grandson," an old woman entered the room making Newt smile happily. Ava was shock. She didn't expect her mother in-law was there because she rarely comes home from an international cruise. Newt stood up and hugged he's grandmother. He was followed by the two girls.

"Nana Margaret this is my boyfriend, Thomas," Newt gestured to the boy sitting innocently on the dining table.

"Oh, I heard that your tea is the best in the land," Thomas complimented shaking Margaret Sangster's hand.

"I like him Newton," Margaret said smiling at the brunette boy in front of her. Thomas sighed in relief, at least another relative that likes him.

"Mum why didn't you told me you're coming home?" Ava asks not facing nor standing up from his seat. She was still in shock that her mother in-law came back without anyone knowing especially her.

"It's my decision not to tell anyone and call me Mrs. Sangster," the elder woman answered making Ava flinch a little. Margaret never approved of Ava to Janson, she even denied her their family ring but eventually she gave it when her son pleaded and begged for 24/7. Ava now wears the ring every day, fearing that her mother in-law might get angry if she loss it or doesn't wear it and take it back, Newt told the story to Thomas on their way there.

"Please sit down and let's eat Mrs. Sangster," Ava said standing up offering a chair to the elder woman. Margaret shock her head.

"I'm not hungry plus I'm having the Royal family visit," Margaret answered coldly. The young adult except for Thomas didn't react because they're used to Margaret being cold to Ava but Thomas was uncomfortable during the duration of the conversation. "But for my grandson Newton I will instruct Alfred to prepare my famous tea. I know my grandkids missed my tea and I want Thomas to have a taste of my tea," she warmly smiled and left.

"You're having the Royal family to visit?" Thomas whispered as they go back to their respected seats.

"Yeah they're a close family friend." The whole 'Royal family visits' was nothing of the ordinary for Newt but for Thomas, it blew his mind to pieces.

"So, Thomas where is your father?" Ava asks cutting her food into smaller pieces with her break knife.

"Oh, my father died when I was a baby so I never got to meet him," Thomas explains not knowing so much details about that certain topic.

The brunch was kind of normal, until it was time for the tea to be served. Newt and Thomas enjoyed chit-chatting with Teresa and Sonya. The girls always ask when are they going to get married making Ava choke a little on the food. She frowned on the statement. The two boys looked at each other and answered 'If the time is right, we will simultaneously. The girls squeal and fought over the title of being the 'bride's maid'.

"I need to use the bathroom. Where is it?" Thomas excuses himself as his bladder needs to release pressure.

"Tommy, upstairs two doors to the right," Newt said. "Love you," he whispered before Thomas could got up and blushed. Newt gently poked the ring box in his pocket making sure it was still there. He always carries the ring around so if the right moment comes it was there.