4. 𝙵𝚊𝚕𝚕

"Mathilda?" I blink and open my eyes, "are you awake?" I take a deep breath and look at who's standing in the door. It's Nelly.

"Oh hi" I reply. "Sorry to wake you up this early, but you have to get ready for breakfast" she says and smiles.

"Breakfast?" I ask, confused. "Yes, we have to make it for Daggers men." She answers. Daggers men? My mind thinks for a second and then it all comes back.

I'm in the mafia bosses house and I work for him. My heart starts raising. I can't do this! "I'll wait for you outside the door Mathilda" she says while turning on the lights and then she leaves.

I take a deep shaky breath and stand up. I have to wear maids clothes. My body shakes as I quickly put them on and get ready, I brush my teeth and put my straight hair in a low ponytail.

My feet slowly take me over to the door and I take a deep breath and open it.
"Thank god you came, a bit longer and we would be in trouble" Nelly says with a worried look, "I'm sorry!"

She shakes her head, "it's fine." And just as she says that we hear footsteps. It's the man that has been looking out for me.

"What the fuck are you two doing? Want me to starve?" He barks, "get the fuck down to the kitchen and make breakfast! I don't want to see this laziness again, understand?" He orders, "Yes Venero, sorry sir" Nelly says.

My mouth goes dry and I can't say a word. Nelly lightly grabs my arm and we hurry down to the kitchen. So his name is Venero?

In no time we're in the kitchen. There are two women standing there. One looks to be around the same age as me, the other one is a more grown woman, maybe in her 50's.

They both look at us, the older lady sighs, "you're late Nelly, and you, what's your name?" She asks, annoyed. "Sorry, I'm Mathilda." "Mathilda" she repeats. "Sorry Deborah" Nelly says.

We walk over to the kitchen counter, "just make some coffee Mathilda" Nelly whispers. I do know how to make coffee and so I start making it. "This is Effy" Nelly says.

The quiet girl smiles to me and puts out her hand, I grab it and shake it, "Mathilda."

"She's mute, her name is the only thing they've beat out of her" Nelly says and sighs, "those assholes". I look at Effy, her arms are bruised and her expression saddens. Poor girl, this place is awful!

My hands shake as I try to quickly make the coffee. Nelly turns to me, "Deborah is the boss of the kitchen, don't get on her nerves" she whispers to me and winks.

Suddenly I start to hear male voices in the room next to the kitchen, the dining room. Oh no, they're here... My body starts to tremble, "is it done?" Deborah asks and I nod in reply.

"Don't worry" Nelly tells me. We walk into the the dining room, my body instantly freezes. There are a bunch of men in the room, all sitting around a big table, all wearing fancy suits and all being loud.

I follow Nelly over to the dining table, "just put the coffee on the table" she whispers. I nod and place the coffee close to the center.

The men start to eat and Nelly tells me to go stand up against a wall, she goes to the wall opposite of the one I'm standing by. I look around at the men, they all look scary and dangerous, why would anyone want to be working with the mafia? It seems awful.

Me and the other maids haven't eaten yet, I hope we'll get food afterwards.

"Maid, go make some more coffee" some man orders. I look around catching Nelly's eyes. She nods her head toward a man on my side of the table, "what the fuck is the wait for?" He says, annoyed.