Chapter 1

A year. A year has passed since monsters have made it to the surface. But only now are they being allowed into schools. At first, people wanted to make separate schools for monster and human children the same way white and blacks did years ago. Seeing how well that ended, the government took it upon themselves to decline that plan(Thankfully), and instead passed a law saying that the monsters were to be treated as any other person. I really could care less if you were a human or a monster. You live your life, and I'll live mine.

I sighed as I listened to Mr.Netta drone on about some ancient society. I usually find history interesting, but today just didn't seem to be one of those days.

"Hey~" Oh, God. You know, I really don't care that monsters are here, but some just tick me off. 

I turned my head lazily to the cat monster next to me, watching his orange tail sway side to side. It poked out of the holes in the back of the chair. I've always wondered what those annoying openings were for. Never thought they would be for cat tails.  "Go away, Brandon," I groaned, "I'm not interested."

"Is it because I'm a monster?" He questioned, feigning an offended look before grinning lightly. "Because that would be just plain rude."

"Yes, its because you're monster, not because you're a creepy pervert." I joked.

"Ouch."

I rolled my eyes, letting out a light chuckle. I yawned, blinking rapidly to try and wake up some. It was 4th period, and I still had a long ways to go before school went out.

I raised my hand. I need to get out of here before I fall asleep at my desk.

Upon being granted permission to leave, I walked to the door, ignoring the cat-calls from Brandon. Lunch was next period, so that was something to look forward to.

Its the third day of monsters being at school. The first day only a few showed up. I can't blame them, I think I would be reluctant to attend a school full of another species. The second day more came, and I'm pretty sure the rest came today.

As I walked through the silent hallways, I hoped I didn't run into Jacob. He skips class and hangs around this building. I know it isn't a good thing to hope your boyfriend isn't around, but I have a good reason: hes angry. Something happened with his friend and he's been in a bad mood ever since. He also doesn't like it when I bother him when he's mad. He says its 'frustrating'. I understand, though. If I was that mad I don't think I'd want to be bothered either.

I walked past the janitors closet on my way to the bathroom and froze.

"Steve..." A small voice panted from inside the closet. Nancy.

"Hush," The deep voice chuckled, "Someone might hear you."

My face scrunched in on itself. Are you kidding me? They're doing this now? I rolled my eyes. Who is Nancy not sleeping with?

I slid into the bathroom, taking a glance at my reflection. The bruise by my temple was a stark contrast to my normal skin tone. I tentatively pulled hair from behind my ear in a lame attempt to cover it. No one had noticed it yet, so maybe it wasn't that obvious. I sighed remembering the last time I had a mark. Every one blew it out of proportion and almost got me killed. I'm lucky Jacob took pity on me. I'm not so sure he'd be so forgiving this time.

I jolted in front of the mirror as the bell reverberated down the hall. I rush back to class just in time to see the flood of kids pouring out of the room. The sound of them talking to one another drowned out Mr.Nettas calls for tomorrows homework.  I snatched my bag and scurried to the lunch room. Not to be dramatic, but its kill or be killed when it comes to finding a seat. If I didn't get cracking, my spot will be taken for sure.