Chapter 9

I clutched the strap of my bag. The closer we get to dismissal, the more anxious I feel. I haven't gone a single day without meeting up with Jacob, and the thought of lying to him-especially after the argument at my house-was nerve wracking.

Sans had caught on to my feelings fairly quickly, and took it upon himself to walk me to my classes to make sure I felt safe. However, his seventh period was across the school, so he had to leave. I felt so childish; wanting him to walk with me everywhere. Its funny how close you can get to someone in only a few weeks. It feels like I've known him forever.

I dropped myself on a chair in the back. I kept my face straight and unemotional: how I usually express myself day to day. There's a reason I'm the 'unknown' character in The Group. I think people would get annoyed or bored of being unresponsive all day, but I find it quite calming. There's no pressure to be happy everyday. Talking to Sans in the halls was the first time I've openly smiled at school, save for lunch.

The corner of my mouth tugged upward at the thought of the puns he had made over the phone. The more I think about it, our social circles don't look to be too different. His monster friends seem to share similar mindsets to my human ones. I'm sure if they got to know each other, they wouldn't hold such a hatred for the other species. I'll have to talk to Sans about merging the two cliques. Although, it might be a tad too early for that.

I sighed as I tugged out two composition books. One was for notes, and the other was for pointless doodles. My last class was always excruciatingly boring. This semester I had Life Skills. Every minute took its time passing as Mr.Howard droned on about how to save money, clean, and cook as if I don't already know how.

For now, the only sound in the room was shuffling and thuds as kids filed in and dropped their stuff.

"She's right there," I heard a small whisper to my left. Being called out by other kids wasn't out of the ordinary for me. I find it entertaining to listen in on the newest rumor or story about me. They always make me seem more interesting then I actually am.

"Shut up!" A second person hissed, smacking him in the arm with a book. "You're so loud, she's gonna hear you!"

"Ouch..." It was two boys a few desks down sharing the conversation. The one rubbing his arm was staring obviously at me, while the other stole sneaky glances in my direction. The shyer one was at least a foot or so shorter than his friend. "Are you sure it was her?"

"Positive." The tall one spoke cockily. "She walks with one of the new monsters everyday too and from class. I don't think anyone's seen her smile for that long." The boy ranted with excitement in his voice, as if me having a friend outside of The Group was unheard of. To be fair, it kinda was.

We've been together since the sixth grade. None of us have made friends outside the circle since we were twelve. So, now that I think about it, talking to Sans would be a bit shocking.

"Doesn't she have boyfriend?" The one staring looked back towards his partner, "And isn't...Isn't she dating Jacob?" His voice grew quiet as he dug through his bag. "He hates monsters- Do you think she's cheating on him?"

"Doubt it. It would take some serious balls to do that to him."

"Yeah..."

Although my face never moved, my heart was pounding in my chest. Rumors morph every time they're passed on. It would be so easy for this one to turn into a story of me cheating on Jacob. I rubbed my head; I can't deal with this right now. I don't have the energy to handle another accusation of being un-loyal. Especially after I promised to never speak to another monster.

"Forget the fact that Jacob hates them- I've never seen her smile before, let alone laugh." He pulled out his cell phone, sliding through a few photos before stopping at one. I could just make it out from where I was.