Chapter One

"Bucky?" I called down the hall, staring at the small purring animal that had its wide eyes fixed on me.

"Yeah doll?" He responded instantly, poking his head around the doorframe, letting his long hair swing down beside him.

"What did you do?"

He frowned, confused. "What did I- Oh! I adopted a cat!" He emerged from the other room, grinning wildly as he spoke. I dropped my keys into the small bowl by the door, and watched as he carried on rambling. "Jake's friends neighbour had a litter of kittens, so I got one. You said you've always wanted one."

I smiled, realising he'd remembered me telling him over a year ago of how I'd dreamt of having my own cat. He swooped down, picking the small, fluffy black kitten up, holding its small body securely in his two large hands. "Her names Brian."

I choked, my eyes flicking from the innocent animal purring loudly in Bucky's hands, to Bucky's own ecstatic face. "Brian?"

"I came up with the name before I realised she was a girl. But she's named after that singer you love. Brian June?"

My face must have been blank as he tried to explain. "You know, the singer with the moustache! Has a friend with the big curly hair. In a band named King or something-"

I laughed. "You mean Queen?"

He rolled his eyes, "that rings a bell."

"The singers name is Freddie Mercury. Brian May is the guitarist, the one with the permed hair." I grinned, my heart melting at the consideration Bucky had over naming his spontaneous adoption.

"Well we can't call him Freddie. He lives next door." Bucky mock grumbled, before stroking the fur between Brian's ears. "Anyway, this is Brian."

"And when were you going to tell me about her?" I delicately plucked Brian from his grasp, feeling my resolve crumble as her nose nudged playfully against my fingers, inviting me to stroke her more.

"She was a surprise. Surprise!" I grinned, wobbling onto tiptoes to press my lips to his cheek.

Bucky was full of surprises, and was happily enjoying the life of a house husband. One thing that became very clear within days of moving in though, was Bucky was finally letting himself free. And by free, that meant indulging in every small thing that took his interest for more than a day or two. A year after we tied the knot, he was still surprising me.

A month or two after we'd moved in, I'd left work at the bar after a rowdy evening, tired and exhausted, just wanting to be in bed next to my soulmate. But the sight I was met with when I pulled onto our drive nearly made me cry. He'd spent the day wrapping solar lights around the posts of our porch, lighting up our front garden in a gentle glow as I approached the house. Fresh potted plants were gathered around the doorway, and surrounding the small bench he'd built to sit under the front window.

He'd met me by opening the door, a small watering can in his hand as he was about to attend to his new flowers, but had instead enveloped me in a hug and shepherded me into an overflowing shared bubble bath.

The following weeks had been the beginning of his love of gardening, which started with planting small colourful flowers around the border of the house. It quickly developed into a huge flowerbed, which then led to the left strip of our garden becoming home to a selection of planted vegetables.

One of his only other hobbies that lasted more than three weeks, was knitting. He had knitted a small patchwork blanket for my best friends baby, and had become hooked. I woke up one morning to him knitting a long scarf, which was then followed by a hat and then half a jumper.