Chapter Seven

~Amelies POV~

"D'Arcy where are your shoes?" I fixed a smile on my face as she wandered down the hall, huge bag strapped to her back as she looked at me.

She stopped walking, and then pointed at the small rack of shoes next to the door where her and Bucky had tidied them last night.

I slid them onto her feet, making sure she pulled the Velcro neatly over each foot, before holding her coat out. "Come on, we need to get moving."

Bucky began walking down the stairs, jacket already pulled on. I looked back down, feeling my cheeks darken considerably after my drunken outburst the night before. I'd been meaning to talk to him about it, as I found myself struggling a little more. Whilst we'd been getting D'Arcy home I'd been distracted, but the thoughts were beginning to creep back.

D'Arcy dragged me out of my thoughts, by sliding her hand into mine, and tugging me gently to the door. Bucky followed, locking the door behind us, before holding onto D'Arcys other hand.

She smacked her lips several times, swinging our arms higher and higher as she skipped along the pavement. Debbie and Betty left their house as we walked past, with Freddie walking beside them.

"Morning you guys!" Betty waved, jogging down to the pavement to catch up with us. We all slowed down, waiting for Freddie and Debbie to catch up, before we began walking again.

"How are you feeling Amelie?" Debbie asked tentatively, hand holding Freddie's.

I nodded, embarrassed that she'd been witness to me storming around the house in a mood. "I'm fine, thank you. Sorry about last-"

"It's okay, you don't have to apologise." She murmured softly, offering me a warm smile. "We've all been there."

I didn't know how to reply, so instead looked down to Freddie who was staring at D'Arcy with a puzzled expression. "Freddie, this is D'Arcy." I nudged him into introducing himself, but his eyes met mine instead of my daughters.

"Hi D'Arcy," he whispered meekly, before burying his head into his mother's arm. Betty looked a little confused, before glancing back up.

"How are you D'Arcy?" She asked gently. D'Arcy offered her a thumbs up and a smile. "And how's school?" Again, D'Arcy nodded, smiling as she pulled on my hand slightly.

I looked down, noticing her looking at Freddie before looking back up at me. She let go of my hand, and fumbled with the pockets of her coat before pulling out one of the small packets of cards we'd made. She handed one over, waiting for Freddie to accept it.

His cheeks tinted a pink, before he passed it back. "Can you hear me?" He asked.

D'Arcy nodded again, and patted her ear. I caught on, but let D'Arcy explain it for herself, as she passed him a second card.

Freddie seemed to relax, and began telling her about his toys. D'Arcy seemed interested enough, and nodded along to his story until we reached the end of the road. The two went to different schools, and they waved at each other before walking away.

The walk was quick, and soon we'd joined the back of the playground where D'Arcy would leave to go to her class. I spotted Owen as he saw D'Arcy, and he was soon running across the playground to her.

His hands flew quickly as he signed, before he slowed in front of our small group. He frowned at himself, before pulling out a piece of paper from his pocket, and a pencil. He scribbled on it, leaning on his knee, before handing it to D'Arcy.

She grinned, and accepted his pencil to reply to him, as David leisurely followed in his brother's path. He gave us a smile, and tapped Owens shoulder before signing a quick message to him.