Chapter Three

~Bucky's POV~

'Can I come home with you and Amelie yet?' D'Arcy passed me the piece of lined paper we'd been communicating on, looking at me hopefully the entire time.

"Not yet." I smiled sadly, trying to keep her happy. She'd been placed into a foster family after a week of staying in the hospital, whilst Amelie and I had desperately been running around requesting a home study.

I didn't like to throw around the fact I was technically a member of the Avengers, but in this circumstance I was willing to use anything that could possibly hurry things up. The foster family and social worker, Emma, had been kind enough to let Amelie and I keep contact with D'Arcy during this process, but I wanted to bring her home as quickly as I could.

'When can I come home then?' She chewed on her lip, waiting for me to read her slightly shaky handwriting.

"It's looking like the quickest we can do it is about two months." I told her truthfully.

Emma was sat in the corner of the living room of the foster family, watching D'Arcy and I's interaction. We weren't allowed to be alone just yet, but I didn't mind her being there. If it showed D'Arcy liked us and wanted to be a member of the Barnes family, then it would all count to something.

D'Arcy sighed, and handed me a blue Lego brick to add to the house we were building together. "But our home visit is in a couple of days, so that should help."

Emma nodded to confirm what I'd said, as D'Arcy glanced at her. Deciding it was a good thing, she smiled. I watched as she took the pen and paper in her hands, and began writing again. 'Can you visit again? Before I come and live with you?'

"Me and Amelie are coming next week." I reminded her. This visit had been impromptu, and Amelie had already left for work when the foster family rang me. I'd told Amelie about it, and she said she would come next time as the bar was too low on staff to let her leave.

Luckily everyone understood, and the fact that Amelie could continue working was a positive at the moment.

'Thank you.' I nodded, trying to keep my tears at bay as I looked down at the young girl sat next to me.

"Thank you." I stroked her hair back as she grinned.

We played with the bricks for a short while longer, enjoying the company of each other more than anything else. We still hadn't learnt the full story of how she'd ended up locked in a shed, but various police teams were researching and investigating different alibis and ongoing enquiries.

D'Arcy herself seemed to have picked up dramatically since we'd first met. Her light ginger hair was now shiny and clean, and she was beginning to lose the bags under her eyes. Thanks to the family she had been put into care with, she was also beginning to put weight back on, making her look slightly more healthy, and less deathly pale.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, making her freckle covered cheeks even more visible. She looked up at me, squinting a little, before pulling the paper back to her lap 'Can I talk to Amelie?'

I didn't see the harm in letting her, and so rolled the sleeve of my top up, and wiggled around so she could hold onto my right arm. The tip of the pen tickled the hair on my skin, and I tried to avoid shivering as she wrote with the cold ink.

I didn't watch as she wrote, and the both of us sat patiently as we waited for a reply. It was almost instantaneous though, and I could recognise Amelie's neat handwriting  anywhere.

They corresponded for a few minutes, letting Amelie explain in her own way why she couldn't come and visit her today. D'Arcy was happy with her reason, and soon gave up writing on my arm as they were running out of space.