Chapter Eight

~Amelie's POV~

"I just don't understand why she's obsessed with the string?" I mused, as I watched  D'Arcy skip around the living room, trailing a length of string behind her.

Our kitten, Brian, was following her every move, pouncing with far too much energy every time it paused for more than a second.

"Don't question it doll." Bucky hooked his arms around my waist, and rested his chin on my shoulder. "Just look how happy she is."

I smiled, and relaxed into his chest. D'Arcys huffed laughter was ringing through the house; never a committed enough noise that would resemble a laugh to others, but Bucky and I knew this was her at her happiest. She spun in a daze, lifting the string above her head as Brian sprung around her feet, dancing on her paws as her eyes followed each and every movement.

"What time is your appointment?" Bucky's husky whisper dragged me back to reality, and I closed my eyes as I sighed.

"Half an hour. I should leave soon."

D'Arcy slowed her dancing, and turned to face us. Her head gently tilted to the side, and with her crinkled brows and pouting lips, both Bucky and I knew what she was asking.

"It's my counselling session D." I crouched in front of her, holding her hands with a weak smile on my face. "Do you remember the meetings you had to go to before you came here?"

She nodded, eyes trained on mine as she waited for me to explain more.

"I'm having the same meetings down the road. I won't be gone very long, but Bucky's here all day so you'll have plenty of fun."

She nodded, and stepped forward to wrap her arms around my neck. She knelt into my crouched lap, and squeezed my shoulders as she burrowed her face into my cheek.

"I love you too." I whispered, leaning back to stroke her cheek, before standing up and pulling my jacket over my shoulders. The weather was beginning to grow colder, and we were unusually prepared for it.

I glanced over my shoulder as I opened the door, feeling a warm, loving feeling flooding my body as I saw Bucky holding D'Arcy in his arms. The pair were waving at me, watching me walk down the drive, before the door shut gently behind me. 

***

~Bucky's POV~

"D'Arcy?" I looked around the kitchen door, watching her walking towards me with a bored look on her face. "What do you want to do?"

Her finger lifted to point towards the television, but she didn't offer a further explanation.

"I was going to tidy the garden, can you come and help me?"

Her lip jutted out, but she nodded and walked forward, dragging a coat off the back of a chair as she walked past. She waited patiently by the door to the back garden as I retrieved my jacket from the front door, and pulled on a pair of boots.

"Come on then." I held the door open, and let D'Arcy skip outside first, with a broad smile growing on her face. She wandered to the flower bed that she found particularly interesting, and plopped herself on the chair beside it.

I was rummaging through the shed pushed against the fence, looking for the rake so I could brush up the few leaves that were beginning to fall off the trees that hung over our fences.

I looked up when I heard the copper leaves crinkling under footsteps, and saw D'Arcy walk slowly to the gate at the very bottom of the garden. I hesitantly followed her, as her eyes followed the stream on the other side that swept beneath the short wooden bridge.