Chapter 5: Regrets?

I thought for a while about the choice. If I ran away, I could be free from the pain that I felt. Though, if I did chose that choose that path, I could get seriously injured, or worse, killed. I let out a huge sigh and got off my bed and grabbed my box. I slid it in the corner and stayed down there until night.

* * *

I ran downstairs with a few cuts and bruises on my face. I threw myself on the palette and tried to hide my tears. I remembered my decision and immediately grabbed my box from the corner. I wanted to wait a few hours before I wanted to run away. I needed some food and water to survive. I sat on my palette and waited for a few hours...

* * *

The time was around 12:40 and I thought it was the perfect time to start my evacuation. I grabbed my box and slowly went up the stairs. The creaking of the floor made me cringe. I got to the top of the stairs, and gripped the cold doorknob tightly. I turned it slowly and pushed it open. The door opened with a piercing voice, like nails on a chalkboard. I cringed harder at the sound and decided not to open it any further. Instead, I slipped through the small crack; it was just big enough to where I could slide through. I snuck through the house and to the kitchen. I started to gather foods and liquids. If I was going to run away, I needed to survive.

I packed a lot of things, but there was only one object that I was missing. Money. I didn't have any, and I was stupid if I thought I did. I thought for a moment on how I was supposed to get money. I frantically looked around for anything money-related. I spotted Karen's purse on the counter. I glared at it. It would be cruel if I stole money from someone's purse. It would be cruel if I stole at all, but I had to, it was for a good cause. I sighed and slowly took a step towards the purse. I felt guilt wash over me as I took the purse into my hand. I reached in the leather purse and fished for the wallet.

                         I felt the cold leather of the wallet. I slowly pulled out the wallet and carefully opened it. I heard the slight click of the wallet and peered inside. I saw the familiar red card and pulled it out. I felt ambitious and scared, but at the same time, I felt the adrenaline coursing through my veins. I gripped the card tightly, feeling the dull edges of the card in my hand. In one brief move, I put it in my back pocket and threw the wallet back in the purse.

                         I felt as if I should put it back, but I just couldn't. I grabbed my things and slowly opened the door. It let out a creek that sent shivers down my spine. I bit my bottom lip as I opened the door more. I slid through the small opening and felt the warm spring breeze hit my skin. I gently closed the door and sighed with relief. This was it, I was officially running away. I began to walk down the dark streets of New York. I didn't even look back as I walked down the road. The road was dark and quiet, the only light source was the street lamps and the white light of the moon. I continued to wonder if I made the right decision. I didn't think this through.

How was I going to survive with such little supplies? That credit card can only hold so much money. I stopped to think if I should go back or not. I don't think that it's a good idea, considering how terrible I felt there. I bit my bottom lip as I scanned over the house. With a sharp turn, I faced forward and continued to walk.

It was so quiet, it was an ominous silence. A type of silence that made you feel scared and alone. The only thing I could hear was my footsteps on the rocky concrete and the occasional chirping of grasshoppers. I let my mind wander into my thoughts, causing me to walk aimlessly down the road. I wondered in Lacie and Sammy were okay. Gosh, I sure hope Lacie isn't mad at me. I hope Sammy has found a new home, with loving parents.