Chapter 6: Reunited

The bright sun had peeked through the clouds. I didn't sleep the rest of the night, and I was exhausted. I was relieved to see the daylight. I had my knees to my chest and my breath was shaky. The light shone in my eyes, blinding me. I shield my eyes and I looked away. Everything was sore, and I could barely move. So much as moving a finger hurt immensely. I sat there for a few minutes before deciding to get up.

    I slowly made my way onto my feet and everything was painful. I could hear all my joints crack as I stretched out. I wish I had a mirror so I could see how much of a disaster I am. I decided that I couldn't stay here. I grabbed my box, which contained all my things from the past. It originally weighed nothing, but right now it felt like a ton. I was just so weak from last night. I started to walk down the alleyway and to the crowded streets of New York.

    I was starving. I needed to find something to eat if I wanted to live. I crossed my arms as I walked down the sidewalk while looking at all the signs. As I kept glancing at all the places, I could feel hundreds of eyes staring at me like I was going to do something. I didn't pay attention though; I just hoped that they wouldn't give me any dirty looks. 

    I stopped at a familiar restaurant. It's sign flickered from being too old. The neon lights were barely glowing, and some lights stopped working. Though, I could still read it. The sign read 'A Taste Of Paradise'. It was an old-timey restaurant that me and my family would go to. They always had the best food. It wasn't good for your health, but what do I know?

    I opened the large doors and went inside. The sound of fancy music and dishes clanking filled my ears. I went up to the lady that stood at the counter. "Hello, I was wondering if I could get anything here for free..." I said trying to face her. She looked at me and cocked an eyebrow, "Look Lil' man, if you think you can just come in here begging for food, you've got the wrong place." I bit my bottom lip, "I-I'm not one of those kids, I swear. I'm just poor and hungry..." I mumbled my words.

    I knew what she was talking about though. Those kids that pretend to be poor to get free food. Those kids will do anything for a good joke. Those kids that will rob you if you've got anything good.

    "I'm not falling for that, so why don't you go take a hike?" The lady said shooing me. I sighed in defeat and started to walk away. "Actually! He's with me!" I looked over to see a lady in a long teal dress. She was standing and had her hands folded in front of her. The lady upfront nodded at the black-haired lady. "Come, you can eat with us!" She said as she motioned me to come.

    I smiled and sat at the booth they were sitting at. I was sitting by the kid with short black hair with a slight blue tint to it. "Oh! Where's my manners! My name's Mallery," she said gesturing to herself. I smiled and nodded. She then pointed to a brown-haired man with round glasses, "This is my husband Alfred." The man looked at me and smiled, "Sup!" Mallery gestured to a girl with long dark hair and glasses, "This is Ivy, our oldest daughter." Ivy smiled at me while taking a sip of her creamy colored drink. "This is Joey, our second oldest," Mallery said, gesturing to the boy beside me. Joey?

    He didn't pay attention, he kept carving things in the wood through the white cloth. He was also wearing headphones that are connected to an iPod. Ivy huffed and ripped Joey's headphones out. "Hey! What gives!?" Joey yelled. "Be with us ya numbskull!" Ivy snapped. Joey looked over at me and a look of recognition showed. We locked eye contact for a bit until Mallery spoke up. "Finally, this is Lily, our youngest!" She said stroking the baby's hair. Lily sat in the highchair while laughing as she kicked her feet.

    "So what's your name?" Mallery asked. "I'm Norman," I said shyly. The man that sat beside her gasped, "What's your last name Norman?" I jumped at the sudden voice, "P-Polk." "It is you!!!" Joey yelled. His arms wrapped around me and I was so shocked that I couldn't even hug him back. Ivy cleared her throat and Joey let me go. He turned back to his food and he continued to eat. Mallery smiled, "Ah, that's what I thought." She took a bite of her food. "Joey, share some with Norman," Alfred said. Joey nodded and passed his plate towards me. I picked up the fork and stabbed the stringy spaghetti. I reluctantly took a bite of the food. I couldn't even remember the last time I had something this good.