Chapter 7: A Brothers Love

I was startled; could it really be him? There was no way, but only he had those diamond eyes and sandy blonde hair. I felt warm tears go down my cheeks. I dropped the umbrella and ran to him. I threw my arms around him and picked him up, swinging him around. I felt his tiny arms around my neck. I fell to the floor, arms still wrapped around him. I stroked his hair, I didn't care if I was getting rained on. I let him go and I looked at him slowly.

"S-Sammy?" I asked. He tilted his head in confusion. Duh, he's not going to remember you, he was only a baby. "Sammy, it's me, Norman. I'm your big brother," I said. A small smile crept onto Sammy's lips. He jumped up and hugged me again; I hugged him back. At this point, I couldn't tell if it was the rain or the tears that were going down my cheeks.

I stood up, arms still wrapped protectively around his torso. "Let's go, Samuel, I don't want you out here alone," I whispered. I grabbed the umbrella and held it over Sammy and I.

~Timeskip~

We were almost there. Sammy was talking and singing; mainly singing. His voice was really good for a 3 year old. The sound started to fade; he had fallen asleep. I got to the camper. The lights flickered viciously and the bugs swarmed the light like bee swarms a hive. I entered cautiously and slowly put Sammy on the couch. I put a blanket over him and sat next to him. I ruffled his hair a bit and stood up to go lay down somewhere else.

Sammy shot up and grabbed my hand. He looked at me with a sad expression. "Can you sing to me...?" He asked. I sighed; the last time I sang was when dad was around. I stopped ever since the accident. Gosh, my voice probably sounds terrible now. "Uh..." I sat beside him. Sammy laid back down and looked up at me, waiting for a lullaby. I started to sing the first thing that came to my mind. I started to softly sing and my voice eventually did a crescendo. It wasn't the best, but it definitely wasn't the worst.

I didn't realize how much I was singing until I heard soft snores coming from Sammy. I smiled softly. I started to think about how much has happened. Will they ever find me? I sure hope not. A sudden bang came from the camper's door. I swallowed hard, and felt myself start to tremble. Was it them? I slowly trudged over to the door. I felt the rusty doorknob and slowly opened the door.

An overweight woman stood at the door. "See? I told you someone was here!" The officer rolled his eyes, "Lady he's just a kid." The woman put her hands on her hips, "I don't care! Now arrest him for trespassing!" "I'm not gonna do that ma'am," the officer said. "Why not!?" "Because they're just kids ma'am." The officer and woman started to argue more. "Geez woman you need a chocolate muffin," the officer said rudely. I walked back inside and put the stuff that was in my box into my black back bag that I still had. I then threw the bag over my shoulder and picked up my brother. The officer came back in and kneeled down to my height. "Listen kid, you can't be in here. This place is already owned by someone." I stood still and my mouth went dry. I bolted through the door and ran as fast as I could.

I found myself in a different alleyway. I leaned up against the wall and slid down. I looked at my brother-still sleeping. I held him tightly and started to cry. I didn't know what to do. Maybe I should just stay hidden. If I was going to stay hidden, I needed to get supplies. But what was I going to do about Sammy? I decided to wait until tomorrow to go find stuff, but until then, I needed to stay here with Sammy.

I used my thumb to rub his shoulder in comfort. "I've got you brother, I won't let anything happen to you..." I said as I held him close. I smiled and kissed his head, feeling his cold skin on my lips sent a shiver down my spine. I felt the desire to sleep, but it was just too risky. I had to watch out for him, even if it meant me losing sleep, so be it. I refused to let anyone or anything hurt my brother.