Chapter 9: First Day, First Friend

-Norman-

"Are you ready for today?" I asked Sammy as I tightened the small navy blue tie on his neck. He only nodded in response with a smile, but I could still see his nervousness. I can't remember how long it's been since we've been homeless. I kind of lost count. I only focused on me and Sammy's age. He is now 7 years old, getting ready to go into the first grade. I finally got enough money to register him to school, of course with the help of Mr. Walter.
I sighed, "It's okay Sammy, you'll be fine." I smiled at him reassuringly. In return, he smiled back, this time being real. His gleaming eyes were filled with worry and excitement. I knew he was going to be scared on his first day. I was scared for him too, honestly.

"But what if people bully me?" Sammy asked, scared. I gave him a sad expression. "Why would anyone bully you...?" I asked. His eyes started filling up with crystal clear tears. "B-Because I'm homeless..." he replied, shakily. I looked away from Sammy and stared at the concrete floor. I took a deep breath, bracing myself for what I was about to say.

"Sammy, look at me and listen to me closely," I said boldly. His eyes looked at me but his head still hung low. "Never, and I mean NEVER tell anyone about this. Not the teachers, not the students, counselors, janitors, et cetera. Do you hear me?" Sammy nodded and lifted his head a little. I nodded slowly, "And if anyone bullies you, you let the teachers know, got it?" He nodded again with a small smile. His head was up and his smile grew wider. "Why can't I tell anyone about us being homeless though?" He asked. His smile went down a little bit. I looked away again. Thoughts of the orphanage bounced in my head like a basketball. Thoughts of Lacie. Yes, I still think of her to this day. She was just so good to me.
"Look, Sammy, it's for your safety and my safety," I said, "I don't want us to get separated." Sammy looked away for a second and then back at me. His expression grew more concerned. "Why would they want to separate us?" Sammy asked me. I checked my watch which read 7:45. I sighed, "I'll explain when you're older Samuel. We gotta get you to school." He nodded, "Okay Norms." I stood up and gripped his hand tightly. His small hand wrapped around mine, slightly squeezing it. We started our journey to the school.

The sidewalks weren't that crowded considering everyone was probably driving. It rained last night so it was humid out. I spent the whole night trying to keep Sammy dry so I was extremely tired. I stopped at the antique store which was closed. It seemed like it was getting older by the second. Sammy tugged on the hand and we continued our walk. The school started coming into view. It took us about 15 minutes to get there. I bent down to his height to adjust his clothing. "Are you ready Sammy?" I asked. He nodded with confidence in his eyes. "Alright, go ahead. You know where to go right?" I asked. He nodded again. I would go in too, but I didn't want anyone to question me. I nudged him, "Alright go on." He turned around and started walking. He suddenly stopped and quickly turned around. He threw his arms around my neck in a tight hug.
"I love you Norms!" He said. I was surprised at the action and his words. I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes. I wrapped my arms around his torso and hugged him back. "I love you too Sammy..." He let go and ran towards the school. I stood up and smiled. More kids started to enter the school. I stood there for a good 30 minutes before eventually leaving.

-Sammy-

I entered the school after leaving my brother. I was shaking immensely but I was also excited. The school was filled with kids that were all ages. I swallowed the large lump in my throat and walked to my classroom. I was greeted by my teacher. "Good morning Sammy!" she said. I only waved and made my way to my desk.
It was finally recess. The sun beat down on me as I scanned the area, looking for someone to play with. A girl with bright gold eyes that shone in the gleaming sunlight skipped towards me. Her eyes shimmered in the gorgeous rays of the sunlight. Her eyes were only half-lit, but I could see the color so clearly. They kind of matched with her short brunette hair. Her hair danced in the wind that she was making with fast moves.  The gleaming rays of the sun brought out the colors of her purple and pink striped sweater. I could see every stitch and some fuzz.
I was ripped from my thoughts as she stopped and looked at me, "Hi! I'm Frisk, Frisk Yi, what's your name?" Her voice was as smooth as paper and as sweet as chocolate, "I...I'm Samuel Lawrence, but you can call me Sam or Sammy.." I said, my voice cracking at the word 'but'. She smiled and looked deep into my eyes, "Wow! Looks like I'm not the only one who has unique eyes! Look at 'em diamond eyes!" She said, "Imma call you Sammy because it suits you." I smiled, "Thanks..." She giggled, her laugh poured out like rain in a forest. She giggled, "Shy huh? Don't worry, you can trust me, I ain't gonna hurt ya." I laughed, "Thanks...heh, same here" Frisk put her hands in the pockets of her cream-colored shorts, "Come on, I want you to meet Chara!" She took her hand out and held it towards me. I gladly took it as she dragged me to where she wanted me to go.