Chapter 8: Music Changes Everything

It's been a few months since I've been taking care of Sammy. It was winter now, unfortunately. It was cold and I was shivering from the snow. At this point, I thought about giving up, but I didn't want to risk Sammy and I getting seperated. I loved my brother and I wasn't going to give up on him. I was able to get some blankets from this nice man who worked at an antique store. He also let me get a small job there. I've been going there to make some cash.

I was sitting with Sammy on the cold floor of the alley way. He was wrapped up in the blanket and I snuggled him. I was freezing, but he needed it more than I did. I looked at him, he showed no emotion. He just stared off into space while shivering.

The white snow brought out his crystal eyes. I don't know why I keep talking about his eyes. There's just something about them that makes them so unique. The color was something I've never seen before, but it wasn't just that. Something about them made me feel like there was a bit of hope in this world. As if after everything that has happened, there was still some good in this dreadful planet.

"Why are you looking at me?" Sammy asked. I looked away quickly, I didn't even realize that I was staring at him. "Nothing Sam Sam," I said as I hugged him tighter. I looked at the cracked watch, it was another thing I got from the old man. It read 3:48. I sighed, "Sorry Sammy, I have to go to work." I stood up and he immediately wrapped the blanket tighter around his frigid body. "O-Okay," He said softly. "I'll be back, just stay here and don't go anywhere," I said as I started to back away.

He nodded, "I know I know, you tell me this every time." I smiled and I was on the streets, walking to the antique shop. The streets weren't that crowded, and it looked like people were all ready getting ready for Christmas. The chilly air bit at my skin and I could only help but smile. After a few minutes, I got to the run down shop. It wasn't that busy, considering it was Friday. I got to the shop and opened the door. I heard the small ding of the bell and was immediately greeted by Mr. Walter. "Norman! It's great to see you again!" He said in his old raggedy voice that was cracking. He was in his fifties and could barely walk. I smiled, "It's great to see you too Mr. Walter." I picked up the broom and started sweeping the area around me. I swept, dusted, and wiped down every surface.

It was hard work, but it was worth getting money. The entirety of cleaning, I kept worrying about Sammy. I hated leaving him alone, so many things could happen. He was only three, and he wasn't that strong. I finally finished my work. I put everything away and was heading for the exit.

"Wait Norman, I have something for you," Mr. Walter stopped me. I turned to face him and he came from behind the register. He was wiping a metal tube with a silky cloth. He kneeled down to my height and pulled out cash from his pocket. He quickly counted it and handed it to me. "You've been working real hard, so here's 50 bucks," he said. I gratefully took the money and placed it in my pocket of my sweater.

"Also, I found this flute in the back of the store and I have no use for it. So I was wondering if you or your brother wanted it," Mr. Walter said, handing me the flute. It was old and worn out, but it was all in one piece. I never was musically etitled, but I had a feeling it could come in handy. I grabbed the flute and pressed down on a few keys.

"Thanks Mr. Walter, I'll be sure to find good use for it," I said while messing with the flute. "Good," he said as he stood up, "I hope you have fun with it, bye now." I smiled and put the flute and money in my bag. I left the store and made my way to my "home."

I saw Sammy in the distance. He was playing with some sort of plushy. "Whatcha got there Sam?" I said. He looked up and ran towards me and hugged me, "Norms!" I giggled and hugged him back. He let go and held the plushy close. It kind of looked like a dog. I've never seen it before.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked him, pointing at the plushy in his hands. He held it up to me, "Mommy!" My smile turned into a frown. It hurt me to know that he still has no clue about what happened. It took me a second to realise he most likely got it at the orphanage, like how I got my father's stuff. I wonder why I never saw it, he most likely put it in his pocket. It sure was small enough.

"What's his name?" I asked while trying to smile again. He looked down at the plushy and didn't say anything. He was probably trying to think of a name. "Hmm Boris!" He said as his smile returned. I fully smiled and ruffled his hair, earning a small giggle from him. "Hey, I got something for you," I said. I took off my backpack and unzipped it. "Ohh! What is it?" He asked, jumping excitedly.

I pulled out the flute and handed it to him. He immediately grabbed it and inspected it. He started to giggle, and it was great seeing how excited he was. He held the mouthpiece up to his mouth and blew. A soft beautiful note came out of the metal tube. He was fidgeting with the keys making numerous sounds. He stopped and jumped around. I have never seen him this happy before.

He ran up to me and hugged me, "Thank you big bro!" I giggled and hugged him back, "Your welcome."

It's been a few months and he was getting really good at the flute. I couldn't believe he taught himself. It was now February and we were sitting on the bench looking at the city beyond us. With the money I had, I was able to get food, water, and more clothes. I also put some into savings for something more exciting. Sammy was snuggled up to me and he was fidgeting with the instrument.

He suddenly got up, replacing the warm connection with the cold air of winter. This made me look at him. He stood in front of the bench and licked his lips. He held the instrument to his face and started to play a soft melody. Quickly, people started to watch him. I stared in amazement as he played familiar tunes. From classic songs to Disney, he played with delight. People started to sing along to the music he was playing.

It feels like hours have passed and even the news was here. I could hear the lady's voice, "It's a great time in New York where a small boy has brought cheer to the streets. Playing melodies and tunes with a flute. Where has this been all this time? And who is this wonderous boy? We may never know."

He stopped playing on a single note and bowed. People clapped and cheered for Sammy, so did I. They were handing him money which he gladly took. I got off the bench and hugged Sammy. "You did amazing!" I commented. "Thank you!" He said. He handed me the money and I put it in my bag. The crowd of people decreased and we made our way back to the alley way.

I later counted the money and he made 150 dollars. I was so proud of him. He leaned on me with closed eyes. I put the money back in the bag to save for later. I kissed his forehead and leaned my head on top of his. "I'm so proud of you Sammy, and I love you so much. Never forget that."