Chapter 2

It's been a few days since that guy was here about my sister Scarlett. My mind raced as I helped with basic things around the mansion, I always have felt that I need to somehow repay what Luca has given me. 

"You always return to the same place, Charlie." Luca's sweet and calming voice rang out. He leaned against the balcony banister to my left. "I come here a lot too, I'm glad you somehow managed to get my father to put this here for you." We stood in silence for a few minutes. "Charlie, now that you are of age, I expect your heat will come soon." Heat. I have hated that word since I've learned about what it means. An omega goes through a period every few months where the likelihood of getting pregnant is significantly higher than any other time. During this, usually, Alpha males attempt to 'mate' with omegas due to the pheromones that are given off by the omega. This usually happens around 18, it's also the age where Alpha females are married off. "During that time, you'll have to be quarantined." He glanced over at me.

"Why did you save me, Luca? My existence is too much of a hassle." I heard a sudden intake of air by him. 

"Why would you say such a thing?" He was now looking at me. 

"I just feel like I'm too much of a bother to you all. I always get into fights, I can't keep my mouth shut no matter how hard I try, and I'm always in need of something. I find it troublesome, so I can only imag-"

"You are not troublesome." He gripped my shoulders and made me look at him. "You were important back then and you are still just as important, even more so now. Charlotte, you are a part of our family. We care about you and would do anything for you. You are the only omega that is heard of that has been placed in a high-rank family and welcomed." Omega. That dreadful word. I nodded once and went to leave but he grabbed me and brought me into a hug. "I'd do it all over again, Charlotte. There was something about you that made me gravitate to where you were hidden. Don't doubt for a second that you are important to us, we aren't your masters. We're your family." He rested his chin on the top of my head and kept hugging me for what seemed like seconds, but in reality, it was minutes.

After the conversation with Luca, I locked myself away in the library for a few hours. Reading allows me to get away from the world for just a little while, or learn more about a subject. It's a way of busying myself so I can't get into trouble. A knock on the door made me pause and look up. 

"Dad wants us all in the great hall room, Charlie." It was my other brother, Matthew. He was a gentle soul and cared equally for me as Luca. "You have to, sorry Princess." He smiled and waited for me to gather my book and walk with him. I can at least sit and read the book while he talks to whoever is in there. "Today's been a rough day for him, so try not to jump into a fight immediately." He smiled and nudged me gently as we went into the room. I smiled at him, but when we both turned to the scene in front of us, both of us lost our smile. I saw a rather large male hit Luca with so much force that it sent Luca to the floor in a heap. My entire body was acting purely on its own as I went to tend to Luca. My hands shook as I brushed the hair from his face to see a large cut across his perfect skin, his beautiful features now permanently marred from this random delinquent. He looked at me with loving eyes, but I knew he was scared of something. This man is never scared unless I'm in danger.